Talk

Advanced search

Driving after c-section

(7 Posts)
Expat2 Sun 07-Aug-11 09:26:11

I had a c-section in the Netherlands on 19 July. I'll be in the UK in a week and a half and we'll have a hire car. Are there any issues with me driving 4 weeks post c-sec (I'm thinking mostly insurance issues?). I have a doctors appointment before we come, so I'd make sure they were happy with me driving first.

(Some insurance companies make an issue of it up to 6 weeks post c-sec where I'm from so thought I'd better check).

Meglet Sun 07-Aug-11 09:28:05

You should double check with your GP and the UK insurance company I think. Better to be safe than sorry.

I didn't drive until 6 weeks after both of mine as I didn't want to risk it.

BikeRunSki Sun 07-Aug-11 09:31:37

i drove at 4 weeks after mine and my (UK) insurace company were happy, but many specify 6 weeks. The issues are to do with your ability to do an emergency stop. Whatever you do, before you drive anywhere, sit in the drivers seat with the engine off, and pretend to do an emergency stop and see how your stitches hod up.

thursday Sun 07-Aug-11 11:59:35

my uk insurance company said as long as 'someone medical' said i could drive then they were happy. my MW said as long as i could jump off the bottom stair i could do an emergency stop and was good to go. i think i felt up to it at about 5/6 weeks but many people do earlier.

QTPie Sun 07-Aug-11 14:41:30

Get your doctor to add "ok to drive into your medical notes" but DEFINITELY check with whoever is providing the insurance. Mine (Directline, UK) were fine "whenever your GP clears you to drive", but some will vary.... And you may be getting your insurance direct through the car hire company....

Insurance companies find any reason to avoid paying out, so - just in case - check the policy carefully...

lizandlulu Sun 07-Aug-11 18:13:18

i drove at 10 days after, i felt fine and no pain or anything when driving. the midwife said as soon as i felt well enough then to give it a go.

i am insured on a business policy, which i dont know if it would be different to individual people, but they said they didnt need to know and were happy for me to drive when i wanted to.

nunnie Mon 08-Aug-11 15:47:15

It also depends on what you were told before you left hospital, if you were told to leave it 4-6 weeks (which I was) then if you drive before this time without medical go ahead then if you do have a crash and it is seen that you are post operation the Police/Court/insurance company will contact surgeon etc to see and if you have gone against medical advice without seeking the go ahead then it will be frowned upon, however if you have had the go ahead from your GP then the onus is on them to back up this decision.

Hope that makeas sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now