Talk

Advanced search

Induction after waters breaking?

(18 Posts)
fizzypigs Sat 06-Aug-11 17:17:42

Hi my waters broke about 5.30 this morning. Hospital had me go in to check baby's heart and movements. Midwife said if nothing changed to go back tomorrow at 8 for more monitoring and will have the option of an induction then. I'm having what I think are mild contractions every 10mins just now for about 30sec - been like this most of the afternoon. Was wondering if anyone had a similar experience & if labour didn't progress within first 24hrs did you go for induction or just hold on?

fizzypigs Sat 06-Aug-11 17:18:12

Ps am 39wks

fizzypigs Sat 06-Aug-11 18:56:14

Anyone?

squiggleywiggler Sat 06-Aug-11 19:09:05

Hi fizzypigs

brilliant news - sounds like baby is on its way.

My waters broke at lunchtime, started having contractions around 10pm and DD was born at 6.55am.

I've had clients (I'm a doula) who, having looked in to it, felt they wanted to hold off induction for longer than 24 hours. Instead they monitored their temperature and had daily monitoring from the hospital (though went home in between). For all of them labour did start eventually without intervention - one after 3 days.

Others are happier to proceed as per hospital protocol, so really its what you feel comfortable with.

It does sound as if your body is doing things already.

If you were my client I'd ask you how you felt about the suggestion of:
- going for a walk this evening, find a few stairs to walk up and down sideways, bounce on a birth ball
- nice meal, glass of wine, relaxing bath/shower (NB> some MWs say no baths when waters have gone, many say your own bath is fine if you are having contractions already - up to you)
- smooch/nipple stimulation with DP to get the hormones flowing
- then go to sleep

See what happens and if things haven't moved on by the morning then you can reassess and see whether you want to think about induction or waiting for your body to do things itself.

PM me if you want to chat more.

squiggleywiggler Sat 06-Aug-11 19:10:26

p.s try not to stress too much about timing the contractions. In order to your body work and your hormones that stimulate contractions get going your best bet is to chill out and have a nice time!

Morebounceperounce Sat 06-Aug-11 19:17:16

How exciting! Takes me back nearly 9 months to when DD arrived.

To cut a long story short, my waters went early on the Tuesday morning, went in to the birth centre, got checked and then sent home to hopefully get into established labour and come back in 24 hours. I got my contractions going well over night and was definitely ready to go in by Wednesday morning. However they found I had ketones in my urine as I'd been throwing up with the contractions and the stress of the transfer had slowed my contractions right down.

I was admitted to get my energy levels back up (two bottles of lucozade did the trick!) and to be induced but it was so busy, I had chance over Wednesday night to walk (lots) and get things moving again and was 6cm by Thursday lunchtime. I was then off to the birth centre and she popped out at 9.02pm that night.

I was monitored regularly (temp, BP and foetal heart/movement checks) and, as these stayed stable, they weren't too worried so waiting and monitoring may be an option for you?

Good luck!

fizzypigs Sat 06-Aug-11 19:52:02

Thanks! That's all really useful advice. Was feeling really chilled until the future grans got on the phone and started harassing me to go to hospital. Contractions getting more frequent and intense but not unbearable yet! I will get on my ball and try to get a walk if the weather clears. A glass of wine will be no probs gringrin Thanks again!!

squiggleywiggler Sat 06-Aug-11 20:10:24

Rain is no excuse fizzypigs DH and I put our waterproofs on and stomped around grin

Seriously disconnect phone if grans are calling!

fizzypigs Sat 06-Aug-11 20:34:33

Haha! But I might melt!! Am on my ball and contractions getting more painful & frequent - guess that's a good thing although doesn't feel it right now wink

milkandnosugar Sat 06-Aug-11 20:42:02

Hi Fizzypigs,
Exactly the same thing happened to me yesterday! Waters broke at midday, no contractions and although I'd planned a home birth was given a slot 24hrs later (today) for induction. Went home, did furious gym ball sitting and nipple tweakery, niggly feelings around 8pm so put TENS on, bigger contractions around 11.30, called midwife at midnight and DS2 arrived safely at home 2.44am this morning. Stay positive ,most women will go into labour following waters breaking themselves - with any luck your own wee bundle of joy will be here very soon. Xx

fizzypigs Sat 06-Aug-11 20:57:12

Congrats milk! Hopefully I'll be taking a leaf out of your book. Really wish I'd gone for a homebirth now x

nannyl Sat 06-Aug-11 22:10:04

Congratulations milk smile

fizzypigs Sun 07-Aug-11 07:40:06

Hey! Just to let you know baby fizzy arrived at 2.30 this morning. V tired but can't take my eyes of him to sleep!! Thanks for all your kind words xx grin

squiggleywiggler Sun 07-Aug-11 07:59:09

Brilliant - huge congratulations!

Morebounceperounce Sun 07-Aug-11 09:19:40

Congrats! Lovely news to start the day and hope you and little fizz are doing well.

nannyl Sun 07-Aug-11 09:26:26

Congratulations fizzy smile

milkandnosugar Sun 07-Aug-11 10:17:31

Congrats fizzy! Really hoped it would work out for you. Enjoy your very first 24 hours with your little boy xx

Runoutofideas Sun 07-Aug-11 10:23:19

Congratulations fizzy and milk! Was about to post my boring story of long winded labour following waters breaking, then induction, but no need now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now