Hi my waters broke about 5.30 this morning. Hospital had me go in to check baby's heart and movements. Midwife said if nothing changed to go back tomorrow at 8 for more monitoring and will have the option of an induction then. I'm having what I think are mild contractions every 10mins just now for about 30sec - been like this most of the afternoon. Was wondering if anyone had a similar experience & if labour didn't progress within first 24hrs did you go for induction or just hold on?
My waters broke at lunchtime, started having contractions around 10pm and DD was born at 6.55am.
I've had clients (I'm a doula) who, having looked in to it, felt they wanted to hold off induction for longer than 24 hours. Instead they monitored their temperature and had daily monitoring from the hospital (though went home in between). For all of them labour did start eventually without intervention - one after 3 days.
Others are happier to proceed as per hospital protocol, so really its what you feel comfortable with.
It does sound as if your body is doing things already.
If you were my client I'd ask you how you felt about the suggestion of: - going for a walk this evening, find a few stairs to walk up and down sideways, bounce on a birth ball - nice meal, glass of wine, relaxing bath/shower (NB> some MWs say no baths when waters have gone, many say your own bath is fine if you are having contractions already - up to you) - smooch/nipple stimulation with DP to get the hormones flowing - then go to sleep
See what happens and if things haven't moved on by the morning then you can reassess and see whether you want to think about induction or waiting for your body to do things itself.
How exciting! Takes me back nearly 9 months to when DD arrived.
To cut a long story short, my waters went early on the Tuesday morning, went in to the birth centre, got checked and then sent home to hopefully get into established labour and come back in 24 hours. I got my contractions going well over night and was definitely ready to go in by Wednesday morning. However they found I had ketones in my urine as I'd been throwing up with the contractions and the stress of the transfer had slowed my contractions right down.
I was admitted to get my energy levels back up (two bottles of lucozade did the trick!) and to be induced but it was so busy, I had chance over Wednesday night to walk (lots) and get things moving again and was 6cm by Thursday lunchtime. I was then off to the birth centre and she popped out at 9.02pm that night.
I was monitored regularly (temp, BP and foetal heart/movement checks) and, as these stayed stable, they weren't too worried so waiting and monitoring may be an option for you?
Thanks! That's all really useful advice. Was feeling really chilled until the future grans got on the phone and started harassing me to go to hospital. Contractions getting more frequent and intense but not unbearable yet! I will get on my ball and try to get a walk if the weather clears. A glass of wine will be no probs Thanks again!!
Hi Fizzypigs, Exactly the same thing happened to me yesterday! Waters broke at midday, no contractions and although I'd planned a home birth was given a slot 24hrs later (today) for induction. Went home, did furious gym ball sitting and nipple tweakery, niggly feelings around 8pm so put TENS on, bigger contractions around 11.30, called midwife at midnight and DS2 arrived safely at home 2.44am this morning. Stay positive ,most women will go into labour following waters breaking themselves - with any luck your own wee bundle of joy will be here very soon. Xx