Talk

Advanced search

can daddy have skin to skin in theatre?

(10 Posts)
MyBunnyRabbit Fri 05-Aug-11 21:05:49

Hey,
Has anyone experienced dad being allowed skin to skin in theatre if mummy not feeling up to It?

1st was EM cs, baby whipped away to neonatal neither of us got to cuddle baby til following day. Sadly our Angel lost his fight 5 weeks later.

Elective cs booked for week after next and I'm desperate to hold baby number 2 asap....really fear being separated from her. But have heard lots of mums don't get skin to skin in theatre due to lack of space, or feeling shaky from drugs. I don't want them to wrap her up and take her away......can't daddy hold baby instead?

ANY reassurance about elcs please.......I'm so scared.

PotteringAlong Fri 05-Aug-11 21:10:23

Firstly, I am so sorry about your DS but congratulations fir your DD.

I have no experience first hand, but my friend had to haveca CS under GA and her husband was definately allowed to have skin to skin straight after birth.

Could you speak to your midwife? Is there a special bereavement midwife at your hospital to liase with people who've lost a child? It could be written into your notes in big letters that you don't want them to wrap / take her away?

strandednomore Fri 05-Aug-11 21:12:38

Both me and my dh had skin-to-skin with both dd's following ELCS's. With me, it was a bit of a case of pulling my gown down a bit and balancing the baby on my left shoulder but with dh it was as much skin-to-skin as he wanted. In fact I think he just held them (ie not their skin to his) but he could have if he wanted.

strandednomore Fri 05-Aug-11 21:13:51

They shouldn't take the baby anywhere as long as she is fine. Quick check and then in your or dh's arms.

Mandyville Fri 05-Aug-11 21:14:52

Oh, gosh. I'm not surprised you're frightened. So sorry to hear about your son.

DH did - sort of. DD was whipped out, he cut the cord, told her her name and cuddled her. She did already have a hat on, though! That seemed to happen really early in the process, somehow! I'm sure she knew his voice. Then after ten minutes or so they helped him put her on my chest. It was a little cramped and I only held her for a minute or two, but I got my cuddle!

I hope it's a lovely peaceful experience for all of you. All the very best.

FebreezeYourJeans Fri 05-Aug-11 21:28:01

I had skin to skin in the theatre, immediately following my ds arrival (before weighing/cleaning up even) It was wonderful. Even if you don't feel up to it, your dh should be able to hold your dc in your sight line.

It is absolutely possible, write a birth plan and make your wishes known.

Good luck, hope you are holding your dc soon x

nannyl Sat 06-Aug-11 09:12:15

we were doing these scenarios at our NCT this week
our NCT teacher was adament that if we need a C section, (and baby is well enough etc) daddy most certainly CAN do skin to skin for as long as he wants.

weighing / mesuring etc etc can wait....

Your baby, do what you want

I had an ELCS with DS2 4 months ago, and before I went into theatre I had the opportunity to speak to the midwife who was going to be with me. We talked about skin to skin and she explained that they keep the theatre very cool for the team working, and therefore babies do need to be wrapped to prevent them getting cold.

What we agreed on, and what happened, was that DS2 was brought round to us as soon as the cord was cut for a quick kiss and so that I was the first person he smelt. Then they wrapped him up and he was given to DH. DH held him for the first half hour of his life - he opened his shirt at the top so that DS2 could smell him. At no point was he taken away.
DH was sat right next to my head, so DS2 was right there next to me and I could touch him and DH kept holding him out so that I could kiss him.

Once I was stitched up, DS2 was tucked into the bed next to me and we were wheeled round to recovery. As soon as we were in there DS2 and I were both stripped off and we were having skin-to-skin and then he fed. That was 45 mins after he was born.

Having had an EMCS with DS1 where I was so out of it that I can't even remember a lot of what happened, this scenario was brilliant for me.

The thing is to be calm in your discussions with your HCPs to get as close to your ideal as possible.
IMO being too confrontational and demanding about it is the wrong way to go. The bottom line is that the HCPs have your safety and the safety of your baby as their top priority (as they should), and all other considerations are secondary.

EveryonesJealousOfWeasleys Sat 06-Aug-11 09:38:47

A friend of mine had an elcs for her son and they took a lovely series of photos of the birth - including a beautiful one of her DH with no top on holding their DS, and her gazing at the two of them with the most beautiful look on her face. The whole experience was really lovely for them, very calm because it was planned and they felt they greeted their baby very peacefully. Just ask nicely if it is ok, and get DH to go topless under his gown, with it fastened at the front for easy access!

ImTheMap Sat 06-Aug-11 09:42:57

my dd dad did, we told them our wishes before entering the room, he took his top off and just wore a gown, as soon as she was weighed and rubbed they popped her down the front of his gown for skin to skin until i was stiched and then they passed her to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now