Talk

Advanced search

Delivering the placenta

(5 Posts)
Jill72 Fri 05-Aug-11 14:16:41

Not thought very much about this and just starting to write a birth plan. What are peoples thoughts??

speculationisrife Fri 05-Aug-11 14:21:01

I had a physiological third stage in my birth plan, but with a time limit of half an hour. I think my midwife asked after 15-20 minutes if I'd like the injection and I said yes, as at that point I quite liked the idea of getting it over with. It was all very quick and easy (the third stage, that is!).

first1 Fri 05-Aug-11 14:35:47

Ughh my third stage was awful, I had manual removal which according to my exP looked like a vet shoving his hand up a cow sad and that was after the injection. Sorry to be a downer but I actually know 5 other women this has happened to, the jab doesn't always work

lostintransition Fri 05-Aug-11 14:39:22

With my first birth I planned to have the injection and was given it just as my placenta started to come (after about 5 mins) so I didn't need it and I spent the next hour being sick!

The second time I didn't bother and it came after about 10 minutes.
It was nice to just hold my baby and recover from the shock without having to someone fiddling with the baby and cutting the cord etc but I think if it started to take too long I might get fed up and have the injection.

The baby will benefit by having a gentler transition to life outside of the womb and get exactly the right amount of blood and stem cells it is destined to have. And if there's heavy bleeding, you have the injection.

lostintransition Fri 05-Aug-11 14:41:15

Here's a related post to the retained placenta...
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childbirth/1272537-MW-has-told-me-syntometrin-injection-for-3rd-stage-prevents-retained-placenta-T-or-F

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now