Talk

Advanced search

Am really quite worried about a fast second birth....

(18 Posts)
LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Fri 05-Aug-11 07:12:46

Ok so I have got it into my head that ds is going to be very quick and I'm going to end up having him at home unplanned or in the car.

With dd I woke up with a contraction at 3:20am, at 7:30 my waters broke and at 8:30 I arrived at hospital to be told I was 9cms.

After being kept on my back with no urge to push dd arrived at 11:18.

So now after being told by everyone and their wife plus Reading on hear, second labours are much quicker I am really starting to believe he will come to quick. Vi am also worried that I will turn up at hospital and be turned away due to getting their too early and then that causes me to have ds in car/ wherever we are.

Got my 36 week apt with mw next week and am finally going to raise my concerns. However, mum has now offered me her house to homebirth in. This would mean I could defo have a waterbirth plus don't need to think about how long it is going to take.

I just am not sure what to do. Any advice is very welcome. Tia.

MrsVidic Fri 05-Aug-11 08:21:00

Hi I have a similar history with dd I had a sweep at 3 a show at 7pm then woke at 130 and had her at 8am!

What I would say is that Mw etc take you more seriously with your second- I have been told to wait to see if contractions r regular for 20 mins then go in. They tried to push for a home birth but I just don't want that tbh!

They won't turn you back if you explain your quick- but a homebirth if you would like one sounds like the best option- as it also sorts out child care!

EggyAllenPoe Fri 05-Aug-11 08:25:43

1) second labours aren't always faster, but it is wise to prepare with that in mind
2) homebirth is a really good option - when you call in, tell them how fast your first was an ask for a MW straight away
3) I you want a waterbirth, fill the pool whn you call the MW!
4) you will need to be at your mums from 37weeks-42 weeks depending how close she lives to you...you don't want to give birth on the way there.

i was almst born in a hospital toilet for the reason you state above - my mum was told to go home 'you are not in labour'!

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Fri 05-Aug-11 08:40:09

Eggy she lives a 2 min walk round the corner grin

dh was born on his grannies stairs and a friend had her third on the bathroom floor cause they sent her home shock

BlueChampagne Fri 05-Aug-11 14:10:10

I had DS2 on the bathroom floor because I didn't think I was ready to head to hospital! Woke at 5am with grumbly tum and had him at 8am. Midwife had given very good advice - don't get in the car if you think it's too late - it's easier to find you at home". So I agree with your other posters that you should plan for a home birth, at your Mum's if necessary.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Sat 06-Aug-11 08:39:45

I'm in the same position, established labour was 3 hours, pushed DS out in 6mins. I had him at home (planned) and my midwife (same one, I LOVE the NHS!) is sure this one will come quicker, if everything proceeds normally. It's one of my additional reasons for having a homebirth.

IF you're happy with having a homebirth, that's prob the best option for you because it will take away one element of stress at the thought of giving birth in a car or unassisted at home. Lovely of your mum to offer too. I would personally go for it, but then I'm a massive homebirth advocate, you have to do whatever makes you feel safest and most in control

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Sat 06-Aug-11 09:59:38

Blue that fantastic advice!

Girlwith, if I had the room I probably would have choosen a homebirth from the start. If I changed my mind could I still go to hospital?

Tangle Sat 06-Aug-11 10:45:48

You can change your mind at any point - before or during labour. Planning a HB doesn't mean you have to stay at home, but it makes it a much easier option if you decide you want to (technically you can choose a HB when you're in labour - but its much easier for the MWs if you give them a bit of notice!)

Have you come across the www.homebirth.org.uk site? You might find it interesting to look at if you haven't seen it before smile

TwinkleToes76 Sat 06-Aug-11 18:30:15

I had a fast first birth (planned homebirth) which was 5.5 hours form first sign/contraction to birth. We almost had an unassisted birth because we weren't sure how far along I was and by the time the midwives arrived 3 hours after the first contraction I was already fully dilated. So second time around (which was 8 weeks ago) I was also convinced I would end up giving birth alone. Planned another homebirth for that reason and due to my concerns the midwives agreed that they would send out 2 midwives straightaway when I called just in case it was super quick as they could always go away and come back later if I wasn't very far along. I can't imagine trying to get to hospital in full blown labour and if I had to give birth alone I would prefer it to be in my home to in my car! Anyway, second birth was also quick (4 hours) but totally calm and in water and no panic about being unassisted. Definately would take your mum up on her offer!

HauntedLittleLunatic Sat 06-Aug-11 18:47:07

I was in hospital when I went into labour first time. Now it was v prem which may have clouded the mw judgement (ie I didn't 'look' in labour until the last minute and they don't do internals to check that early I was waiting - non urgently for a Dr to come do a speculum exam).

Anyway. I first starting twinging 2-3pm ish.
Mw first considered I might be in labour 8pm ish (after monitor was showing only weak spasms she looked at my face)
Transferred to labour ward and examined 9pm ish at 9cm
Born 10:05.

With my second went into labour lunchtime (show and contractions). Waters broke tea time (didnt break spontaneously first time). Delivered at 9:15 so about the same.

But when I rang labour ward my contractions weren't consistent and regular but I was thinking same as you - this could be fast. They were very understanding after I explained. Gave ME the option of going in. No pressure either way, and didn't send me home when I was only 4cm. That said it was a mw led unit (attatched to big maternity unit st the main hospital.

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Sat 06-Aug-11 19:39:34

Thanks guys it's good to hear other people felt the same.

Tangle haven't looked thanks for the link.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Sat 06-Aug-11 20:56:15

You can absolutely decide at any point you want to if you want to go to hospital (another beauty of homebirths, if you never say you want to try for one, you never get the opportunity and HAVE to go to hospital)

You don't need a ton of room to homebirth either, I had DS in a small two bed flat on the second floor of a conversion, and planning the same (different flat but same idea) for DD...though if you don't have room for a pool, really want one and your mum has offered and she's just round the corner that sounds like a good plan!

tangle's suggestion of homebirth.org is a brilliant one, it's a great resource and definately convinced DH to even start thinking about it (he was very anti it at first but now is an even bigger advocate than me)

busybee1983 Sun 07-Aug-11 07:40:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OnEdge Sun 07-Aug-11 07:50:24

How were you kept on your back ?

busybee1983 Mon 08-Aug-11 14:27:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Icanonlytry Tue 09-Aug-11 14:16:08

Ds was born 10 weeks ago. With dd I was induced at 42weeks and she was born 7 hours after the first pessery. Ds was 12 days late when I woke up at 6am feeling a bit strange. Got in the bath and by 6.45 was having constant, very strong contractions. I managed to wake dp up and he had to help me get dressed. Arrived at the hospital at 8am and ds was born at 8.15 am. The drive to hospital was awful I was panicing about getting there in time as the traffic was heavy and looking back I should have either stayed at home or got an ambulance. If you feel comfortable having a homebirth I would go for it.

PrincessScrumpy Wed 10-Aug-11 19:44:11

dd1 was born in 2hours 5 mins. With this pg they offered to induce me so they could be sure I was in hospital. As it happens I'm expecting twins and have to have a cs due to their positions. Talk to your mw, but otherwise, as soon as you get contractions, get to hospital.

BertieBasset Wed 10-Aug-11 21:13:28

I had a long labour with dd1, pretty quick with dd2. I didn't have a pushing stage as such she just shot out! And at 8lb8 it wasn't like she was tiny.

I found getting to the hospital the most traumatic part of dd2's birth and wished I had had a home birth. My delivery was so quick it was unassisted and I will def stay at home if I have any more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now