Talk

Advanced search

How early to start tens machine?

(11 Posts)
dycey Wed 03-Aug-11 21:49:47

am in v early latent stage of labour - got tightenings and period like pains. Is it too early to turn the tens machine on? Hoping to get some sleep!

lia66 Wed 03-Aug-11 21:52:57

i would attempt sleep then if you get woken up in discomfort, then the time to pop it on perhaps.

reallytired Wed 03-Aug-11 21:53:40

I would start the tens machine as soon as you can feel contractions. Have at a very low setting, you don't need to use the boost mode unless you are in discomfort. Early use of tens helps build up natural endorphins which will improve the effectiveness.

www.askbaby.com/tens_machines_faqs.htm

It sounds to me as if you are at the right point for putting on the TENS machine.

However if the tens machine is stopping you from sleeping then I would not bother with it for the moment. You need all the rest you can get as labour is hard work.

Good luck

timetosmile Wed 03-Aug-11 21:55:55

Stick it on now!!

Make sure you place it accurately on your back and have lots of spare batteries.

I don't know whether you'll get any more sleep, as it does give you a funny electric shock sort of sensation.

The earlier you stick it on though, the better it is at attenuating the pain signals from your nerves.....they are too preoccupied with 'hmm, what's that strange tingling sensation' to register the 'arrrgh' pain so strongly.

Good luck..I made it through my first labour with just the TENS (put on early) and 2 paracetamol.....DH ceremoniously presented me with 2 on a doily for labours nos 2 and 3!

Let us know how you get on x

Pancakeflipper Wed 03-Aug-11 22:00:36

Earlier the better. It gave me something to concentrate on and I didn't have any other pain relief.

Good luck

dycey Wed 03-Aug-11 22:29:03

Thanks so much - in hosp as induced... Bit of a lonely old business this being here without DH (Antenatal monitoring ward)....

Might attempt sleep now and if woken (probable as light sleeper since ds born 2.5 years ago) I will put it on vvvv low.

Thank you

Pancakeflipper Wed 03-Aug-11 22:48:00

Well update on this thread won't you? We like to know if the tens machine has worked it's magic. Is DH with your DS? Hope he can get there soon.

reallytired Fri 05-Aug-11 13:32:13

any news?

dycey Fri 05-Aug-11 14:48:49

Ah thank you - the tendms did the truck til my waters broke - then gas and air took me to delivery of baby girl yesterday afternoon. All a mega dramatic rush after second pessary. I went from 1cm to baby in about 4 hours!

Thank you for your kindness

reallytired Fri 05-Aug-11 15:19:21

congratulations

Nagoo Fri 05-Aug-11 15:47:14

congratulationsgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now