Talk

Advanced search

What would you do?

(4 Posts)
Baileysismyfriend Wed 03-Aug-11 14:32:03

Brief history, had DD with aid of forceps was fairly traumatic as she had got stuck, she weighed 8lbs 7oz, had DS by ECS after being in labor for 24 hours and pushed for an hour, turns out he weighed 11lbs 9oz which explains why I couldn't get him out.

Caught an awful infection from the section, had to go back into hospital for a week and it took 14 weeks to heal with district nurses coming out every day to change dressing.

Am now pregnant with DC3 and am 39+5, have a consultant appt tomorrow to decide what to do, I had the option of a booked section a few weeks back but wanted to see if I went into labor, baby is estimated to weigh around 9lbs at birth.

They will not let me go too overdue as they are worried baby will get too big so finally I'm at the question I want to ask which is should I just go in and request a section as I'm starting to worry about getting the baby out after the forceps drama with DD and she weighed less, or do I let them break my waters and see if that kicks things off?

I like the certainty of a section and knowing that I won't be going through labor and then having one but I am worried I'll get another infection.

The hospital seem to be leaving it to me to decide which in some ways makes it harder.

Sorry for the mamouth post!

Baileysismyfriend Wed 03-Aug-11 14:33:44

Oh and forgot to mention with DD and DS I went into labor naturally at around 40+10

Ushy Wed 03-Aug-11 18:00:42

I think I would go for a vaginal if it starts naturally very soon but wouldn't let them induce - c section is better. You're less likely to have a spontaneous delivery if you are induced so more likely to end up with nasty EMCS or forceps.

Did you ever ask any questions about how you managed to catch an infection in the first place? Not many brownie points for infection control at that hospital if it occurrred during surgery. Hmmmm

Just my thoughts but guess it is your decision - good luck whatever you decide.

Baileysismyfriend Thu 04-Aug-11 08:24:14

Thanks for the reply, I was told at the hospital that the infection was 'just one of those things' and there is always a chance of it happening and I was just unlucky, not much of an explanation really!

I am assuming that even if I go in today and say I want a section they wouldnt be able to book me in until next week so I guess if I went into labor naturally then I could give a VBAC a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now