Talk

Advanced search

reflexology or acupuncture?

(9 Posts)
sparklytoes Wed 03-Aug-11 13:38:34

Does anyone have any experience of either reflexology or acupuncture to help start labour off? I'm not in any great rush and don't want to rush my body or baby into something it is not ready for but am currently 40 + weeks and would be anxious to avoid any possibility of medical induction if I get to 41 weeks +, so am just trying to find out about different things.
If I did go down this route, I would only be able to go for one or the other, what would people recommend?
Thanks!

shipsladyg Wed 03-Aug-11 13:51:28

I'd choose whichever you'd find most relaxing. And then book a dinner out with your DP that night. Being relaxed & going on a date is bound to jinx things (not that I believe in jinxing).

dycey Wed 03-Aug-11 15:27:27

Do both! Got to be worth a try. Wish I had - induction under way with me (second baby, second induction and I never got round to either reflexology or acupuncture with either and damn well wish I had!)

And ask for a couple of sweeps. Mine were totally fine but ineffectual.

shipsladyg Thu 04-Aug-11 13:47:23

And of course you can refuse induction! It's your choice - although you'll get emotional blackmail if you do decline. My little one was born at 42+5. She just needed to come out in her own time. But for the three weeks before, I tried EVERYTHING several times. It's all old wives tales but it does make you feel better for trying something.
Good Luck.

HandMini Thu 04-Aug-11 14:36:59

I tried reflexology with no success, but it was relaxing and enjoyable. I have two friends who tried acupuncture and went into labour shortly after their first session.

ladydynamo Thu 04-Aug-11 22:22:39

I also tried reflexology a couple of times when I went overdue with no results, but have a friend who used accupuncture to successfully help bring on both her labours. I ended up being induced at 14 days past my due date (they refused to let me go any later) so wished I had heard about accupuncture sooner.

sparklytoes Fri 05-Aug-11 10:47:12

Thanks all, think I'll give the acupuncture a go and see how I get on!

PorkChopSter Fri 05-Aug-11 11:11:01

It's an offer of induction, right - it's not complusory. You can request expectant management as per NICE, they should be offering you that as well.

I've tried reflexology, at the least I thought it would be a relaxing footrub (there was certainly snoring involved blush) and she was accurate in her 24 hour prediction of labour.

sparklytoes Fri 05-Aug-11 15:36:31

Yep, I was chatting about this to the midwife last week - although any induction would not be compulsory, I would be keen to avoid the emotional pressure that I would worry might be put on me as I think that, ironically, this would be more likely to stop anything from starting naturally. I'm also booked in for a homebirth and although they will come out after 42 weeks if you insist, the midwifes don't recommend it and would prefer you to go into hospital. Its a tricky balancing act I think, trying to ensure that things happen at the time they are meant to and not rushed along, but also trying to judge when best to take medical advice as well.
Loving the snoring comment btw porkchopster, I never used to snore...wake myself up every night at the moment with snoring! I tried to blame dp, but realised it was me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now