Talk

Advanced search

Define established labour to me please?

(8 Posts)
evaangel Wed 03-Aug-11 10:37:24

Do you have to be 4cm or more dilated? tia

malteser1981 Wed 03-Aug-11 13:59:50

4cm or more dilated and fully effaced with regular and painful contractions.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Wed 03-Aug-11 20:26:20

painfull contractions? Isn't that a bit subjective? And what does fully effaced mean? smile

malteser1981 Fri 05-Aug-11 21:07:44

Fully effaced = cervix shortened, softened and thinned
And yes, painful contractions is a bit wishy washy but some multips wander around 4cm dilated for weeks, but without contractions it's not labour!

strandednomore Fri 05-Aug-11 21:10:07

I think the midwives say it's when you can't talk to them on the phone during a contraction. Then it's time to come in (if you're going in for the birth).

lollystix Sat 06-Aug-11 12:00:39

Painfulgrin - it's the transition bit you want to watch for - that sends me a bit mental.

visavis Sat 06-Aug-11 20:04:33

I think you know when in established labour - unable to speak through a contraction - and generally you feel as if your body is taking control!

eagerbeagle Sat 06-Aug-11 23:07:03

Except there are no hard and fast rules. I waddled into labour ward at 3.30pm with regular but not really very painful contractions. Had been having regular contractions (4-5 mins apart) since about 10am that morning - they were akin to bad period pain in bursts so uncomfortable certainly but manageable. Certainly could have a conversation no problem. DS was in my arms at 6.

Only went to hospital because parents were stressing (just as well I did).

Went from 4cm when I was examined at about 4.30 to 10cm 20mins later. I would say that it got a heck of a lot more painful then and took about an hour to push DS out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now