Talk

Advanced search

Birth notes are wrong

(9 Posts)
NoTeaForMe Tue 02-Aug-11 22:26:22

Hi,

I was sorting out some paperwork the other day and came across my birthing notes (we were given them on discharge from the hospital and told to give them to HV and midwife-neither wanted them!!) I was reading through them and they say I wasn't induced. Although my waters broke naturallyy labour was not progressing quickly enough and so I had to be induced (I was on the drip-don't remember the name, but I'm sure you know what I mean!! Think it begins with S? 'Syn-somthing?!') Does it matter that this is not stated on my notes? I had GBS and as my waters broke very early on they needed the baby to be born quickly, but none of that is on my notes.

Just wondered if it matters at all I guess? My baby is 9 months old now so not sure what I could/should do about it anyway!!

Thanks

thursday Tue 02-Aug-11 22:38:55

Syntocinon? i think. i had that towards the end with DS, and i had my waters forcibly broken, but contractions started of their own free will so i dont count it as induction, more interference. had you gone into labour already before the drip? i'd have thought there would still be record of the drip though whether they called it induction or not. i never saw my notes so no idea what mine said

VivaLeBeaver Tue 02-Aug-11 22:46:00

Sounds to me like you weren't induced but augmented. Where I work it wouldn't be counted as an induction. My birth notes say I had entenox when I never did.

NoTeaForMe Tue 02-Aug-11 22:47:55

Thanks for the reply!

My waters broke on their own in the evening and were pretty much the first sign of labour. I had to go straight to the hospital as I had GBS, I was then in a bit of discomfort overnight but nothing regular or painful enough for pain relief of any kind until the morning when they put me on the drip as nothing really seemed to be happening.

Thanks

soapy4 Wed 03-Aug-11 08:20:34

Hi,

My birth notes said lots of lies I wonder why?

gailforce1 Wed 03-Aug-11 10:51:10

To cover their backsides??

I imagine that maternity units are so busy sometimes notes are not made at the time and are written up later. They may well mix you up with another patient or simply cannot remember and I think that they have to show that some notes have been taken so have to put something down.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Wed 03-Aug-11 11:59:05

you can always request a copy of your notes that the hospital hold if you want to check. The notes I was given on discharge were very short on facts and just a brief summary but my hospital notes have much more detail, might be the same situation?

NotJustKangaskhan Wed 03-Aug-11 13:07:05

I've found both my birth notes and hospital notes to be inaccurate or missing parts. Now, in my fourth pregnancy, I've found it doesn't matter very much as they're unlikely to be read unless you bring something up that they need to reference. Even then are more likely to take your word or discuss with a colleague rather than move forward based on those notes.

ajaybaines Wed 03-Aug-11 13:10:45

They actively lied on my birthnotes and said I had a fully functioning epidural and couldn't feel any pain.

I think this was to cover up the fact that my epidural hadn't worked but they still went ahead and performed an episiotomy and forceps delivery without even a local anaesthetic.

My friends notes only go up to 8CM dilated then nothing. I guess that was so they could miss out the bit when they got her to push for an hour when she was only 9 cm until a consultant came in and told her to stop before she tore her cervix.

Did anything go amiss during your birth? They could just have been busy and forgotten to update your notes I guess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now