Talk

Advanced search

anyone still had waterbirth or been allowed in bath with Group strep B

(10 Posts)
neverlookback Mon 01-Aug-11 14:05:59

Ive just found out i have strep b and willl go into hospital and have the iv antibiotics as recommended but i still want to have the option of water birth or being allowed to stay in bath for most of labour, ive rang the hospital who said you are not permenantly on a drip but that water birth wont be allowed?
i dont see why not, ive read on other sites it is still possible. Anyone managed it?
thanks

Zuzi Mon 01-Aug-11 14:28:36

I'll be interested too if anyone managed. I had an experience from 2 years ago, when my hospital didn't support me in having a waterbirth whilst strep b. In the end, I arrived too late for iv atbs (or a bath, pool, anyway ...).
Their arguments were: cannula shouldn't get wet, they wouldn't be able to supply a suitable waterproof glove for my hand, etc, etc.
Pregnant 3rd time and pondering what to do this time round ... (btw, had a fantastic waterbirth with 1st baby - not knowing my strep b status).

neverlookback Mon 01-Aug-11 15:07:29

i know i had fantastic water birth with my first and was in the bath till ready to push with 2nd, had never heard about strep b till pg with my 3rd, and now i have it!
www.homebirth.org.uk/gbs.htm this has some good info on and says basically that waterbirths should still be fine, but ive got a feeling they just wont allow it because the midwifes are not trained enough on strep b.

Zuzi Mon 01-Aug-11 15:28:17

Yes, that's where I got the info on strep b and waterbirth - the homebirth website - but unfortunately the reality hit me hard when trying to discuss my options with the hospital - quite unhelpful. I even tried it on when we actually arrived when i was in labour - first thing I asked was whether I could go in for a bath! No. No time anyway ...

BellaBearisWideAwake Mon 01-Aug-11 15:33:05

I was not allowed in pool but was in bath - after v good warerbirth with my first. I still have a pretty big chip on my shoulder about this

PinkKitchen Tue 02-Aug-11 12:11:58

Yes, I managed to get a waterbirth with strep b. Not sure how that happened but not complaining. I do remember arriving on the MLU of the hospital and the midwife commenting (once she saw the strep b sticker on my notes) that they dont usually accept women with strep b and that they usually have to go to main delivery ward (where there are no pools). I think they were quite busy on the delivery ward that day though so maybe it was easier to keep me on MLU. There never seemed to be any concerns about me actually using the pool itself though even with the cannula in. In fact they were encouraging me to get in!

neverlookback Tue 02-Aug-11 13:43:43

thanks pinkkitchen im really hoping that the midwife was just guessing when she said that i proberly wouldnt be able to have a water birth.

RegLlamaOfBrixton Tue 02-Aug-11 15:42:22

I also had GBS and was initially told at hospital that I wouldn't be allowed to use the pool, not because of the infection itself but because the cannula created an open wound in my hand. Thanks to my fab MW I was later allowed to tie a long surgical glove over the affected hand and use the pool so long as I kept my arm out of the water. Didn't actually give birth in the pool but due to malpositioned baby not problems with the GBS. Use of the pool with GBS seemed to cause a lot of confusion and conflicting info which surprised me, I thought there would be a policy that all MWs were aware of but apparently not.

meggles Wed 03-Aug-11 16:49:09

I was my sister's birth partner in the US. She was GBS+ and had a cannula for antibiotics. She was able to labour in a deep bath, and even immerse her hands. When the took the antiobiotics out, they flushed the cannula with saline and then capped it. Easy peasy.

belgo Wed 03-Aug-11 16:59:38

I had a water home birth here in Belgium, and received the IV antibiotics during the labour. They can be administered very quickly, and as I remember it, I just kept my arm out of the water and then the cannula was removed once the abs were in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now