Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Wwyd - baby overdue, DP got job interview two hours away

(12 Posts)
PrincessJenga Mon 01-Aug-11 12:19:35

I'm 40+5 with baby no 1. DP has a job interview on Thurs (40+8) which is about a two hour drive from home. When he agreed the date for the interview we naively assumed baby would have been here for two weeks, but now it's clear that we'll either have a very very new baby or still be waiting for LO to arrive. WWYD?

I don't want to ask him to postpone as a) it's for a great job and b) when would he postpone it for? (I won't want him to leave me for too long with a newborn either will I?)

Equally, i'm not keen on him being up to three hours away (phone off during interview, plus driving time) when I go into labour.

I'm thinking about travelling down to the interview with him, partly as I'm trying to stay as active as possible and the interview is in a nice city so it could be a nice day trip too and partly because if I did go into labour we'd at least be in the same place and could, if necessary, divert to the nearest maternity unit.

Any wise words for a first timer? Or can anyone think of an alternative I've not already considered? Thanks.

ShowOfHands Mon 01-Aug-11 12:28:40

DH had to go away (about a 3.5hr drive) for a day when I was full term. We just waited until the day dawned and made a decision then. I figured if I'd had dd, my Mum could help out, if I felt well enough I could go with him and potter about or I could stay at home and hope for the best. The only reason he wouldn't have gone was if I was in active labour.

In the end it was fine. I didn't feel great so stayed at home and took it easy. DH kept his phone on at all times. That was the only proviso and the people he was with knew the situation so the phone wasn't a problem.

My waters broke the following day. grin

It's always worth bearing in mind that a normal pregnancy is 37-42 weeks and you're not overdue until 42+. I was v careful about what I agreed to in those 5 weeks because you just don't know where in that time you'll labour.

thehairybabysmum Mon 01-Aug-11 12:31:32

I think i would get him to go but ask him to ring the interviewer first and explain the situation in advance in case of your imminenet arrival being untimely. Aslo consider what would he do if baby arrived the day before say...would you be happy for him to travel then?

Good idea to go also if you are happy doing so.

HappyAsASandboy Mon 01-Aug-11 12:55:00

I would plan for him to go and see how you feel on the day. He can always cancel on the morning, or explain to them that you're in labour - they might interview him another day?

To be honest, I don't think of 2 hours as being very far. My DH (and me, before maternity leave) commutes 2 hours each way for work, so he was at least 2 hours away every day in the run up to the birth. From what I understand, first labours are rarely quick, so if you call him as soon as you feel anything, he should be back before things really get moving.

Good luck whatever you decide grin With the job interview and the birth grin

emsies Mon 01-Aug-11 13:31:31

Similarly my DP will be 2 hours away probablywhen I go into labour as that is where he works. I don't think it's that unusual.

It's very very unlikely that for a first birth you will go from first contraction to baby in 3 hours! More like hours of "ooh is this labour" before contractions for quite a long time before labour itself so you are likely to be ok unless that morning you are already in labour smile

PrincessJenga Mon 01-Aug-11 13:41:32

Thank you ladies. Wise advice as ever. The company already know that baby's arrival is imminent & the interview may need to be postponed at short notice (luckily it's not a competitive interview, so it could take place on a different day) and DP and I have agreed he'll postpone it if LO arrives before Thurs. My only concern is what to do on Thurs if baby hasn't turned up. You're right of course; I'm unlikely to go from nothing to full blown labour in the space of three hours so he should plan to go & I should try to go with him if I'm still feeling well (it's a great city so I'd like a mooch around!)

ninedragons Mon 01-Aug-11 13:47:58

DH had to go to a government meeting in a very remote area (we are not in the UK) when I was full term with DC1. He explained the situation and they said they'd put him on an air force plane to get him back if I went into labour. He was most disappointed that I didn't.

Sounds like you have reached a good compromise. Good luck to your DH.

summerfruitsalad Mon 01-Aug-11 14:28:17

Going with your DH sounds like a good idea, leave it until the day to decide but it means you can distract yourself for a few hours having a nice wander, sit outside a coffee shop with an ice drink and indulge in a bit of shopping!

Most likely if you haven't gone into labour or having irregular contractions by the Thursday your DH will have plenty of time to get back to you if you stay at home too.

Hope all goes well for you and DH smile

PrincessJenga Mon 01-Aug-11 15:10:27

Haha ninedragons, the plane plan is one I hadn't considered! Maybe I should ask if they'll put a helicopter on standby wink

dycey Mon 01-Aug-11 15:17:33

Have you got anyone who could be with you if you decide to stay at home? He could always come back from interview and maybe could keep phone on vibrate so could hear you if emergency arose?

So difficult to work it out isn't it?

PrincessJenga Mon 01-Aug-11 17:16:29

Good plan Dycey. I've just texted my best friend to ask if she'll be 'on standby' on Thursday morning.

I'm not going to ask DP to put his phone on vibrate as I really don't want him to be distracted during the interview itself. I know he'll check it immediately before the interview and as soon as he gets out & I'll make sure I have the number of the company in case a real emergency arises, but hopefully that won't happen in the 90 mins or so that his phone will be off.

PrincessJenga Mon 01-Aug-11 17:17:13

What am I talking about? Hopefully a 'real emergency' won't happen at all!

Thanks again for all of your thoughts.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: