Talk

Advanced search

What to wear for a water birth

(23 Posts)
MsChanandlerBong Sat 30-Jul-11 18:46:14

I've just had my birth centre tour, where as part of it they showed us the water birth rooms. We were told to bring several loose/baggy t-shirts/nighties for the waterbirths. I was quite surprised as I had envisaged wearing a tankini top, or tighter vest top rather than something with material flapping around.

If you had a water birth, what did you wear?

TIA

Flisspaps Sat 30-Jul-11 19:20:22

Wear what the hell you like - if you want to wear a tankini, bra or nothing at all - you can! You're the one giving birth smile

Honeydragon Sat 30-Jul-11 19:22:30

Wore nothing at all smile couldn't be faffed, I just wanted in the water

Supersunnyday Sat 30-Jul-11 19:23:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EauRouge Sat 30-Jul-11 19:24:07

Nothing at all. I was at home but I would have done the same in hospital. It would have been a faff to get a wet shirt off for skin-to-skin and I think it would have annoyed me during labour.

Choufleur Sat 30-Jul-11 19:24:46

I got in with my bra on (to preserve a teeny tiny bit of dignity blush) but quickly took it off so didn't have anything on.

ronx Sat 30-Jul-11 19:27:54

It really won't matter what you wear. I think I wore a vest but I can't really remember.

FessaEst Sat 30-Jul-11 19:28:16

Can't imagine anything worse than a soggy t-shirt floating about! I have worn a tankini top both times, with a halter neck, so when DDs born I have just untied the neck and got them onto my chest skin-to-skin. TBH, I could just as happily have worn nothing I think - the MW helped me get changed and handed it to me, so I put it on!

Zwitterion Sat 30-Jul-11 19:29:07

I wore nothing in the pool. Couldn't give a monkeys. Every time I got out to go to the loo the mw kept putting a sheet round me. Bloody annoying. Could see their point though as the loo was down the corridor. grin

tigercametotea Sat 30-Jul-11 19:30:46

I wore nothing the first time I had a waterbirth. The second waterbirth I had, I wore a tank top in the pool. You can wear what you want, or go in naked. Completely up to you.

littlenuttree Sat 30-Jul-11 19:32:49

I just wore a cheapie sports bra type top that I got in Tesco. A t-shirt would involve too much faffing and would be horrible to pull off over your head when it's soaking. And I don't know about your maternity unit, but taking my own sieve would have been a great idea! grin

superjobee Sat 30-Jul-11 19:39:19

my friend had a water birth and wore a t-shirt for about 20 mins then got naked, her mum was embarrassed but not half as much as when the midwife told my friends OH to tweak friends nipples!! grin god love her mum she nearly fainted the poor dear!

alliwant Sat 30-Jul-11 19:47:39

butt naked and loved the freedom of it. My inhibitions were right out the window grin

FessaEst Sat 30-Jul-11 19:48:57

zwitter grin

MsChanandlerBong Sat 30-Jul-11 20:30:15

Thanks!!
I was a bit concerned that the baggy t-shirt suggested would make me feel like I was 15 years old and doing my bronze survival lifesaving award again (when you have to swim about in your pyjamas and dive down to the bottom to pick up a brick)!!

Think I'll take along vest & tankini top, but appreciate that realistically I'll probably end up naked after about 5 mins smile

highheelsandequations Tue 02-Aug-11 13:22:15

I wore nothing, couldn't care less about walking around naked by the time I got in the pool!

mousymouse Tue 02-Aug-11 13:24:29

didn't have a waterbirth but still wore nothing as I couldn't stand having anything on me.

Conanchensee Tue 02-Aug-11 23:12:28

I was all concerned about this and had a tankini packed as well as a baggy t shirt. When it came to getting in the pool the midwife just said 'right, take your clothes off then' and I just meekly obeyed. It would be insane to wear anything at all as the last thing you want it anything getting in the way. Good luck!

nannyl Wed 03-Aug-11 08:11:41

Im planning a water birth at home.

Am planning to be naked

it hadnt crossed my mind to wear anything, and i dont intend to!

cardamomginger Wed 03-Aug-11 08:15:01

Tankini top.

Scheherezadea Thu 04-Aug-11 01:11:51

am going to pick up a £1 bikini top from primark.

PrettyCandles Thu 04-Aug-11 01:32:12

I was so desperate eager to get into the pool that, as soon as I got through a contraction, still kneeling on the floor where I had dropped down to cope once the paramedics had let me off the ambulance gurney, I started ripping my clothes off, ignoring everything and everyone else. I knew I had only a couple of minutes between contractions. When I turned round to go to the pool, there were at least 5 people behind me - paramedics, midwives, I don't know who else. Frankly I couldn't have cared less! It could have been the News crew from ITN, cameras and all, and I would still have barged nude straight past them to get to that pool.

What did bother me, though, was my hair falling in my face. I spent the gaps between the next few contractions pinning it back.

Scheherezadea Thu 04-Aug-11 23:52:15

prettycandles - that made me LOL grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now