Induction and signs of possible preeclampsia need advice!(9 Posts)
I'm 40+1 and today dr says bp has gone up to 130/86 from usual 110/70, with for the first rime signs of 2+proteins in urine and these could be early indications of preeclampsia. I have also been having some mild headaches and feeling nauseous. He says it's not critical yet but wants to book me for induction at 40+3.
Signs that labour might start on it's own are good: 2cm dilated partially effaced, baby fully engaged and low, lost part of mucus plug last week, regular braxton hicks etc. Dr says bishop score is about 5 so says induction should work esp since not my first pregnancy (it's my third baby, dd1 and dd2 vaginal births, no history of preeclampsia). I had a sweep today, just in case that gets things going
The reason I'm so hesitant to be induced is that 1. I had a horrible experience being induced with dd1 and I'm scared to repeat and/or end up with emcs 2. I feel like the baby is so close to coming on his/her own perhaps we should just wait....and 3. I'm with a consultant since 37weeks and since I first met him, just have this feeling that the he's been leading me towards induction from the start, virtually before he even knew my history...
I asked whether I could just be monitored closely until baby comes on its own but he was very determined about booking the induction and kept scaring me with talk about PE and stillbirth etc. I don't know if I'm being paranoid and obviously most important thing is that I am baby end up safe but feeling really resistant to induction. Any advice???
I would go with their advice. PE can escalate very quickly, with dire consequences for you and baby. When I had PE, I was told elevated bp and protein in urine meant I had PE and they needed to stop it getting worse. The only way to do that is to remove the placenta, as it is that that causes the problem. As you say, your Bishop score is already good and baby seems to be preparing for birth. Could you ask for ELCS instead if you would rahter that than induction?
Hi Nich Nach, read your post, and really feel for you.... it is a tough situation.
I had pre eclampsia with my first child, which had been threatening throughout the pregnancy.... raised blood pressure being the principal symptom, as well as headache. I sympathise with how you feel about induction; the minute the drip goes in your body no longer is in control.
anyway, if other people's experience would reassure you, 1) the sweep worked for me... labour started 12 hours after it.
2) out of all the women suffering from pre eclampsia, most of them do not go on to have eclampsia, which is when the high blood pressure causes you to fit. this is the danger. pre eclampsia caused a very intense, short labour for me,in which my body expellled the baby safely before my blood pressure rocketed, and was brought under control with drugs.
good luck...keep telling them what you prefer: if you keep saying it they have to listen to you eventually! i hope things progress for you soon, and you can grin at that consultant through a contraction soon!
They can also start giving you beta blockers now to try and control your blood pressure.
Thanks so much everyone. Obviously the most important thing is that baby and I come out ok. I dont want to idealise a totally 'natural' birth over a safe one. I think I'd rather try the induction than elcs and i guess just hope it's less long and intense (and painful!) this time and that I can avoid an emcs...
Hello, I just wanted to say that I hope it all goes well over the next 36 hours or so. Sounds like your body is gearing up for the event and you are full-term so induction shouldn't be as tough as premature. Wrt the pe, have you actually got the energy to labour? I didn't want to be induced because I was already exhausted, predicted outcome of course; emcs.
good luck... remeber that whatever you do or say, birth is not a predictable event, and that you need luck for it to go well! thinking of you today.
Would mild/early PE make you more tired? I didnt know that. I have been feeling totally exhausted lately. Perhaps that's why. I guess I better just try to rest before tomorrow and go with dr's orders and do the induction tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes!
Join the discussion
Please login first.