Talk

Advanced search

ELCS- preparation for before and after op

(5 Posts)
CJ2010 Fri 29-Jul-11 13:49:47

Hi

I've just been told I have to have a c-section, therefore I would be grateful for practical advice and tips on stuff I can do or buy, before the Op and advice on coping afterwards. I already have an 18 mth old DD so will be coping with newborn plus a very active toddler. How can I protect the wound / make it heal faster?

Grateful for any tips/ advice.

seoladair Fri 29-Jul-11 14:16:48

I had a wonderful elective c-sec 11 weeks ago. Easy birth, easy recovery. Good luck!

This thread is fantastic, and should tell you all you need to know.
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childbirth/217414-if-you-are-having-a-caesarean/AllOnOnePage

Stangirl Sat 30-Jul-11 20:00:20

I was in exactly the same position as you - with a 17month old - and had my section 2 and a half weeks ago. My big advice would be to have as much help with the toddler as you can. For the 2 weeks paternity leave my DP basically took care of our toddler allowing me to feed the baby and heal then my Mum came up for this week to do the same. I'm on my own with them both from now during the day but am healed enough that I can run after the toddler etc. If bfing then do quite a bit lying down on bed and always use a pillow over your scar if bfing sitting up.

TanyaBranning Sat 30-Jul-11 20:11:02

I had a section with my second child. I recovered very well, but would recommend getting as much help as possible and resting as much as possible for the first few weeks. I think taking it quite easy really aided my recovery. So get your partner or other relatives to cook, clean, shop etc for a while if possible, and try not to lift your toddler (cuddles in bed or on the sofa instead!).

I was able to get up and walk about within 24 hours, and could walk to the shops with my baby in a sling within a few days, but do NOT carry anything heavier than your newborn or do any major bending, lifting, twisting etc for a few weeks.

Once your scar is completely dried up and the outer layer is healed, arnica cream is good for reducing swelling/bruising (but check with your GP first).

I found some really big, 'belly warmer' knickers were essential for the first month or so, too, as they made me feel my scar was protected a bit.

Best of luck. I found I recovered really quickly from my planned section.

visavis Sat 30-Jul-11 20:24:43

definitely get some arnica - from a homoepath - not the weaker strengths sold in normal health food shops. I am sure someone will be along soon to tell you which strength it is you need

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now