Talk

Advanced search

home birth - did you eat while in labour

(20 Posts)
lucindapie Fri 29-Jul-11 13:28:12

I'm planning a homebirth, and since becoming pregnant I have eaten constantly and I can't go longer than an hour and a half without needing a meal or snack. I am concerned about making sure I have enough food to get through the birth! If you birthed at home what did you eat if anything, and how did you keep your energy up if the labour took a while? Was eating ok, or did you feel sick? thanks for sharing your experiences!

RhinestoneCowgirl Fri 29-Jul-11 13:33:03

First time - went into labour in early evening, DS born next day at about 2pm. I had some pasta early on, but found that I was feeling too nauseous to eat much. During labour I had cereal bars and cartons of apple juice, plus an apple I think. Did puke mightily just before going into transition tho...

Second time - woke up in a wet patch at midnight, DD born just before 6am, no eating but plenty of drinking (water mostly). Still puked...

Have stuff around that you might fancy, but also be prepared that you might feel sicky.

PorkChopSter Fri 29-Jul-11 13:36:37

A large hearty meal early on.

I regretted the chocolate raisins for pudding with DC4 though. As it occurred to me later that I might shit raisins into the pool blush

detoxdiva Fri 29-Jul-11 13:45:07

My contractions started at 4am and I think I had a light breakfast, but as with dc1 who I had in hospital, I didn't have any urge to eat anything during labour - I saved myself for the tea and chocolate digestives afterwards grin Make sure you've got plenty of energy drinks in sports bottles to drink during the pushing!

GingerbreadGiraffe Fri 29-Jul-11 13:56:54

I had a home water birth.

I started labour quite quickly at tea time once DH had cooked so ate a meal then, but I can remember having to stop to have contractions and record them on contraction master grin

I then wasnt interested in eating or drinking even when DH was trying to force me to. I think I needed to be "empty" I wasnt feeling sick then but just didnt want it.

It wasnt good and I was very very tired and weak at the end (16hrs start to finish) I fainted after the birth and couldnt feed or move for about 1.5hrs but recovered in time to avoid transfer to hospital. grin

If there was a next time i'd try and eat little and often and drink more. Although I wast helped by the fact the G&A made me puke so anyhting I did eat didnt stay put!

Good luck. Homebirth was wonderful smile

lucindapie Fri 29-Jul-11 16:07:52

thanks for the tips, will defintely make sure I eat something, even if I don't feel like it,

Blu Fri 29-Jul-11 16:14:00

We went out for dinner as soon as I realised I was in v early labour...
Then ate on and off all the way through. Pots of cold Rachels' Rice Pudding, bits of sandwich, fruit, then just before transition a whole cherry cake (sicked it up), and then after that I don't remember feeling hungry.

Just eat what you fancy when you fancy it - have nice snacks.

monkey32 Fri 29-Jul-11 19:56:57

I gave birth to my DS at home 9 weeks ago. Labour started just after supper. I'd had asparagus at supper which meant I had very odd smelling pee throughout labour which was a bit odd! But must admit was good for distinguishing whether my hind waters had broken later on in labour or whether I was just peeing myself during contractions! (it was the waters...).

But I digress, in answer to your question I had a fair few cups of tea throughout the night and a few bits of toast. I'd say it's definitely a good idea to eat to keep your strength up, but pretty bland stuff (and no asparagus!). And I can't tell you how blissful it was to sit up in my own bed after the birth drinking a cup of earl grey tea from my nice bone china mug rather than a cup of stewed, tepid brick-coloured tea from a plastic cup in hospital!!

PipCarrier Fri 29-Jul-11 20:58:46

Nothing - only had 30 mins of contractions before I was ready to push so had no time! Did it all on an empty tummy! Was absolutely STARVING afterwards though and spent the rest of the night eating :-)

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 29-Jul-11 21:16:51

contractions started at 3am, tried to eat some toast at about 7am and promptly threw it all back up. Tried toast again and a cup of tea an hour later and threw them up too so just gave up. DH had bought energy drinks as well in case but body rejected them too so I just had polos and water. Thankfully gave birth at 3:30pm!

I then lost my appetite completely for about a fortnight, it was a real struggle to eat (never hapened before in my life!)

mumwithdice Sat 30-Jul-11 12:05:26

Satsumas and Purdey's Rejuvenate. DH proved himself to be a good contortionist as he fed me a satsuma whilst I was labouring on the stairs.

msbuggywinkle Sat 30-Jul-11 12:43:02

I drank gallons of apple and mango juice and ate bananas and pasta in tomato sauce. I probably ate 2 meals while in active labour (only for 4 hours!) but stopped eating and switched to drinking water when transition hit as I threw up!

UsingMainlySpoons Sat 30-Jul-11 12:47:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

emjay74 Sun 31-Jul-11 15:52:53

The dextro energy sweets sound like a good idea with all of my births my appetite vanished completely (only time it does!) and I found when it came to push especially with my DC5 who was face-up I was severely lacking in energy and feeling very shaky. MW tried to force some cordial juice into me for some sugar but it was sugar-free!! So I think I shall stock up on some energy sweets for this time. Thank you!

Good luck with your homebirth Lucindapie...I am very envy as I have to go to hospital this time as i'm expecting DTs. xx

exoticfruits Sun 31-Jul-11 16:03:17

I just ate normally. I didn't have a home birth but I had lunch at home at 1pm and gave birth in hospital at 3pm. The next time I was in hospital, I had breakfast and gave birth an hour later.

first1 Sun 31-Jul-11 16:38:02

I had a hospital birth but to add my two pence, I puked constantly start to finish (28hr labour) including direct hit at midwife and nurse meaning they had to abandon tier uniforms change into scrubs and deliver my daughter with remnants still in their hair blush. Even the thought of food made me feel nauseous but everyones different!

ShowOfHands Sun 31-Jul-11 16:44:18

I couldn't eat. Had a 2 day labour and physically couldn't manage food and barely drank. I had lots of high energy snacks in, had made oatmeal cookies, flapjacks, smoothies etc and I just could not make myself chew or swallow a thing.

I had an emcs in the end and was quite dehydrated. But annoyingly, dd was delivered late at night and the kitchen was closed so had to wait 12hrs post birth to eat. At that point I was utterly ravenous.

exoticfruits Sun 31-Jul-11 17:21:56

I think that you will know at the time and since you are home it won't be a problem-just have in what you think you might like.
With DS1 I was pessimistic and thought that I mustn't eat in case it turned out to need a CS. I was then ravenous afterwards, but luckily they made me a sandwich as I had missed tea. Not sure what I would have done has the kitchen been closed for the night!

gallicgirl Sun 31-Jul-11 23:49:01

Tried to eat but chucked anything up with the next contraction.

MW recommended jelly babies/wine gums for quick energy boosts but barely touched them. had nothing but water all day.

After the birth, I had a cup of tea and toast with pate - possibly best meal ever.

needsanswers Sun 31-Jul-11 23:54:29

hi there, i started early labour 5am snacked a few times during the day had a bit of toast for tea, but by that time was 4cm so starting to get painful didnt eat anything till 7pm the next day after having DS at 4pm drank plenty of water tho

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now