Talk

Advanced search

If you had an ELCS, how long where you kept in for?

(17 Posts)
otchayaniye Fri 29-Jul-11 10:21:52

If everything went according to plan and baby was term and healthy?

I had my first via planned section in Asia and although she was 36 weeks we were all fine and went home in 3 days. Husband was in adjoining bed.

Am getting the fear I'll be kept in in one of London's grimmest post-natal wards for days and have never been away from my child for longer than 9 hours and my mother has offered to look after her, but won't stay overnight.

lizandlulu Fri 29-Jul-11 12:27:42

hiya, i have just had a section, although it was an emergency, i was going to have to have one anyway because of a breech baby, so it wasnt like a rush rush emergenct iyswim?
anyway, dd was born at just over 38 weeks, so counted as term, and had no complications.
i had her early hours of thursday morning and was home saturday afternoon. i had to ask about going home, no one else mentioned it, but i suspect had i asked friday, they may have let me.
i am not lin london, but the hospital wasnt too bad, i hope you get looked after well however long you have to stay, but i must say, i was expecting my own room, but was on a ward with 3 others.

hope all goes well for yousmile

otchayaniye Fri 29-Jul-11 12:34:35

Congratulations (smile) and thanks for answering. Hope you recover well.

seoladair Fri 29-Jul-11 14:38:08

I was in for 2 nights after elcs. It was fine, apart from the noise from a mum who spent what seemed like the whole night on her mobile phone. She couldn't speak English so when the mws asked her not to use it, she just looked blankly at them! She was noisier than the babies!

NellyTheElephant Fri 29-Jul-11 15:51:02

2 nights after emergency section (baby no.1). Stayed 3 nights after first elec section (baby no.2) although they said I could go after 2 nights I wanted to stay another night as DH and DD1 were ill and I didn't feel like going home to lots of sick with new baby. 2 nights after elec section no.2 (baby no. 3) although they told me I could go after 1 night, but I didn't want to. All were at Chelsea & Westminster

Meglet Fri 29-Jul-11 15:53:45

3 nights. But I pestered the hell out of them for a private room so I was able to rest and sleep. DD was such a mellow baby and good feeder I spent most of the time catching up with the papers. (this is the complete opposite experience of my EMCS).

headfairy Fri 29-Jul-11 15:56:43

otchayaniye I was in for three days first time, 2 days second time. I think they might let you go earlier for second baby.

Which of London's grimmest post natal wards are you heading for if you don't mind me asking? I was at St George's for my first cs. It is pretty awful. Hot, noisy, incredibly busy. But earplugs and dh bringing me properly edible food from M&S in reception made it a bit more bearable.

otchayaniye Fri 29-Jul-11 16:03:09

Thanks all, it's Kings. Ante-natal care has been wonderful (I am with the blood pressure consultants as had preeclampsia with first, though not much sign of it this time) but I've heard nightmarish things about post-natal care.

Good tips about the food and earplugs! Also packing a biohazard suit and taking a bottle of Domestos with me.

headfairy Fri 29-Jul-11 16:09:21

grin

At the time, St George's had the 4th worst post natal care in the country, but I survived! Mind you, I didn't bother with a bath and didn't exactly hang about in the shower either. Not the cleanest in the world <shudder>

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Fri 29-Jul-11 16:13:00

I was kept in for 2 nights after emcs, but after my elcs I was out by lunchtime the next day (i wouldn't recommend, just the journey home nearly finished me off!) Good luck.

mrspants Fri 29-Jul-11 16:18:57

Had el lscs Thursday 11 am was home for lunch on Saturday. I wouldn't have been keen on any earlier as the walk to the car was bad enough on the Saturday.
Pack some flip flops for the shower. They are always pretty grim wherever you are, and some domestos wipes to use on the taps and loo.
It's not just the lack of proper cleaning, it is a lot of grotty and selfish women IMHO with no standards of hygiene.

lizandlulu Fri 29-Jul-11 16:29:11

i was in lincoln hospital and couldnt fault the cleanliness but i realise that any hospital in london would be a whole different kettle of fish. i was fine walking in my slippers the whole timei was there, no mess or water on the floor or anything, apart from the last day, despite there being signs all over saying please put sanitary items in bags into the bin, someone had left one on the side of the bathhmm nice

ChristinedePizan Fri 29-Jul-11 16:34:54

I was in 3 nights which was 3 nights too long really but they wouldn't let me go any earlier sad

clairefromsteps Sun 31-Jul-11 20:55:17

I had my twins by emergency CS four years ago and we were kept in for three nights as my DS wouldn't feed and I'd lost quite a bit of blood (although not enough to warrant a transfusion). Really busy ward, really noisy, the staff were pleasant enough but I left hospital exhausted!

A couple of weeks ago I had DD2 by elective CS at the new maternity hospital in our area, which is all spangly and new with much smaller wards. I had DD2 at 4.30pm and everything was deemed fine with us, so we were discharged at midday the next day.

PrincessScrumpy Sun 31-Jul-11 21:57:47

I'm having twins by cs and have been told I should get my own room (if not it'll be a ward of 4 beds) and will be in for 2 days before clinically I can go home (consultant's words). MW said I can stay as long as it take for me to be feeding twins confidently as it's a mw-led ward.

jellybeans Sun 31-Jul-11 22:56:22

3 sections..emergency-5 days, crash section/complications-9 days, elective..3 days (2 nights)

WidowWadman Mon 01-Aug-11 10:03:47

2 nights after either section, first was EMCS and second ELCS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now