Talk

Advanced search

What should I take with me for ELCS in UK

(5 Posts)
otchayaniye Fri 29-Jul-11 08:15:09

Had first abroad. Everything provided (including pianist in the lobby)

What should I pack for one here?

I gather from the grim post-natal thread in AIBU I'll need flip flops for the blood-stained bathroom, along with a biohazard suit and some Domestos....

i'm due to have this one at Kings College London, anyone been there?

DeathOrCake Fri 29-Jul-11 08:33:41

Big knickers, but then you probably already know that grin

I would definitely take food/snacks for yourself and whoever is with you.

After my DH went home, nobody thought to bring me anything to eat. I was in a side room on the ward, and was still immobile. When I asked later if there was any chance of getting something to eat, the nurse told me I had missed dinner, why hadn't I gone to the trolley and got some.
Er, because I'm numb from the waist down and attached to a catheter? shock

otchayaniye Fri 29-Jul-11 09:00:36

Can I ask how long you were in for? I'm hoping it goes to plan and I can be home in 48 hours....

Booboostoo Fri 29-Jul-11 09:22:40

I had very little blood as it was all cleaned up during the ELCS.

I was in for 4 nights and that was about right for me. I then took it easy for 2 more days and then was up and about as normal other than not lifting heavy stuff (lifting the baby was fine from day 3, holding her was fine from the start).

If you can, don't put pressure on yourself to leave the hospital at a set time, take as long as you need. If you over do it nad hurt yourself, you will find it more difficult to care for the baby which will be quite a problem, so take your time and allow your body time to recover.

otchayaniye Fri 29-Jul-11 09:35:58

Thanks, I had three nights for my first and wasn't anxious to get home (private suite in one of Asia's top hospitals, why would I want to go home!) But I have a 2-3/4 year old (who I still feed...yeah!) and I've never been longer than 9 hours away from her and my mother, who will step in to look after her for the actual birth is a bit hands-off and won't want to hang around too long so I'd really like to envisage (all things willing, of course) going home sooner.

Hoping that my busy hospital (Kings College) will chuck me out!

My recovery for my first was amazing. Up in 18 hours and lifting small things (like my 5lb baby) and walking almost completely normally. Felt fine within 6-7 days and forgot I'd had surgery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now