Talk

Advanced search

St Marys in Melton, Leics?

(6 Posts)
tiredchocoholic Thu 28-Jul-11 22:05:55

Hi everyone. I am 24wks with DC3 and am thinking of giving birth in a local midwife centre as opposed to hospital. I wanted to do this when expecting DC2, too, but had to be induced so it wasn't an option in the end. Does anyone have any experience of this, especially at St Marys in Melton (my local)? Thank you, E

louby86 Fri 29-Jul-11 08:20:00

Hi, I'm in the Leicestershire area too. I think if you search there is a previous thread talking about how great that birthing centre is and I don't recall hearing any bad experiences. I'm pregnant with my first and my midwife said she would have encouraged me to use it if I was closer to Melton than I am to the kensington birthing centre at Leicester royal. I think I'll prefer going there to be honest though because you just get wheeled down the corridor to the maternity suite if there are any problems rather than having to wait for an ambulance transfer. I've also heard of people giving birth in different hospitals across Leicester and then transferring to melton for their after care. I'll see if I can link a thread to you when DH brings the laptop home from work tonight

SpannerPants Fri 29-Jul-11 09:45:19

I went to Melton for my postnatal care and it was wonderful - brilliant support with feeding/looking after a baby and lovely food - I would recommend it wholeheartedly! The staff were brilliant.

I had my baby at LRI - was booked at Melton but didn't think I'd be able to cope with the pain so decided to go to hospital (the birth centre though rather than labour ward) so I could have an epidural if I wanted one. In the end I managed with TENS and gas and air, but ended up with a forceps delivery due to foetal distress so in a way it was lucky that I was already there.

tiredchocoholic Sat 30-Jul-11 02:17:46

Thanks to both of you for your comments. I knew nothing about St Marys first time around so missed out completely. When I had DC2 I was totally sold on going there for the birth and / or recovery but in the end I had to be induced and then stay in hospital for 3 days after to be observed...by which time I just wanted to go home to hubby and DC1. I went to LGH both times before and whilst I have no complaints as such I have my heart set on another water birth, as I had with DC1, and think the relaxing environment and fab care at Melton would help relax me more than anything else. If yo can track down that link, louby86, that would be great. Thanks again x

louby86 Sun 31-Jul-11 20:16:08

Hi again, I can't seem to post a link to you on this thread, it might be because computers are not my strong point! If you search St Mary's Melton a few threads do come up though. Some are quite old and go on more about the amazing food you seem to get there but pretty much everyone raves about the place and if they haven't been there themselves they seem to know someone that had a great experience there. I've yet to come across anything negative about them. Sorry I've not been able to link the thread sad

tiredchocoholic Mon 01-Aug-11 00:15:47

Thanks for trying, louby86!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now