Talk

Advanced search

Internal at 37 weeks

(6 Posts)
waterloo51 Wed 27-Jul-11 22:06:00

Hi, im a new here and would like some advice please.
Currently 37 weeks with my 1st and my Docyor is doing an internal tomorrow, does this bring on labour or is it just an old wives tale? Unsure of what to expectblush

QTPie Wed 27-Jul-11 22:27:44

Just a normal internal exam? No, doesn't bring on labour. I had one at 22 weeks, 28 weeks and 38 weeks (for bleeds etc) - none of them started labour (had an ELCS - no labour at all - at 39+1)

seeker Wed 27-Jul-11 22:29:38

Why is he doing an internal?

waterloo51 Thu 28-Jul-11 08:43:56

Thanks QTPie

Seeker, my scan date and the date I gave to hime are comig up different 3 weeks ahead. He is checking to see if I have dilated at all.

Thanks ladies x

seeker Thu 28-Jul-11 09:00:18

You can refuse if you want to. Not sure why knowing if you've dilated at all is useful-won't make any difference to when you go into labour unless he does a "sweep" which he should discuss with you first. Might be worth talking about that-particularly if he thinks you ae further on than you do. Make surehe doesn't make any unilateral decisions!

lostintransition Thu 28-Jul-11 20:10:09

An internal will give no information at all. You could be 37 weeks and 3cm or 41 weeks and 0cm and it still won't indicate when you go into labour! It won't give you any useful information at all.
Is he suggesting if you are dilated that you're further on? I'm querying his rationale.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now