Talk

Advanced search

childbirth

(10 Posts)
sheepcat Wed 27-Jul-11 16:05:51

hello, I'm an anxious 45 year old due to deliver 1st baby at St Mary's Paddington in mid December. unless complications emerge the delivery will be midwife led in the labour ward. has anyone had any recent birthing experiences there? the option is a private delivery (costly!) and possibly not at St Mary's as the Lindo Wing is shut. The NHS has clear advantages if things go wrong! Advice welcomed.

isitmidnightalready Wed 27-Jul-11 23:28:13

NO experience of these hospitals but good luck to you. Am also 45 but had my last DD 5 years ago.

BagofHolly Thu 28-Jul-11 06:45:00

I wish you all the best, but the Lindo wing isn't closed, it's being refurbed. I think you can deliver on the NHS and then have your postnatal care privately, which given the thread currently running on AIBU, is probably a good idea!

sheepcat Thu 28-Jul-11 16:46:43

Which thread is that?

BagofHolly Thu 28-Jul-11 18:28:20

"AIBU to ask about your postnatal care"

babylove80 Fri 29-Jul-11 11:53:38

The Lindo wing is being refurbished but they have made a mini Lindo wing with 3 private rooms just off the main maternity ward. So you can still receive private care as i am a under a consultant for all your pregnancy and delivery etc there. I have received the best care and would highly recommend it. many people have opted to go to the Portland due to lack of availability on Lindo but I was keen to go there as within an NHS hospital so better connected after if baby needs to go to special care or you need anything etc x

pinkpeony Fri 29-Jul-11 12:09:03

I think the Lindo wing is due to reopen in November (unless they are behind schedule), so should be fully functioning again by the time you are due.

babylove80 Fri 29-Jul-11 12:13:37

They are behind, I hear it's not until the new year now x

easilydistracted Fri 29-Jul-11 12:25:48

Hi sheepcat, I had both my DSs in the labour ward of St Mary's so I can tell you about my experiences there!

DS1 (in mid-2009) I was overdue and had pre-eclampsia. I found that the lack of continuity of care probably contributed to my going into the ward too late (after contractions had been going on for 2 days and going nowhere) -- I had a long, unpleasant wait in the triage room (3 hours) and had to wait for an epidural (argh) On the plus side: the midwives, all of them, were great. the overnight one was friendly and helpful. was made to wait for switch-overs which was annoying -- e.g. I was ready to deliver by 7am on a Sunday morning but they made me wait to push until the new midwives at 8am.

DS2 (April 2011) i arrived at the triage room around 2am, was not checked immediately, eventually was told that i had to wait for a room as none were free! in the throes of second labour contractions, i knew i didn't have long and wanted a room so i could get an epidural. midwives few and far between, extremely unhelpful, and kept insisting they couldn't check my dilation as it hadn't yet been 4 hours since my first check (!?!) Horrible experience to be honest. had full labour in triage room full of other people. delivered DS2 20 mins after being given own room, with no pain relief (other than gas and air which had stopped doing anything ages ago anyway) -- midwives that delivered DS2 were new to me, and noted that the previous midwives hadn't made any notes about me overnight -- they didn't even know if my waters had broken or what way around the baby was facing when i was wheeled into the room!

My advice: like me, as an older mum and more likely to have complications, if you use the labour ward, bring a birth partner along who is vocal and prepared to push for you to get seen/get help/etc. -- some of the people are fine but sometimes things just don't move fast enough and you can run into some useless people (as i found overnight with DS2) I hope this isn't too negative, really trying to be helpful.

ps found the postnatal ward perfectly OK -- really, I wouldn't recommend going private for postnatal only! Good help, people checking in on you, etc.

easilydistracted Fri 29-Jul-11 12:26:38

sorry meant to add i was in triage room a total of about 6 hours for DS2, he was born at 8:20am.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now