Talk

Advanced search

I'm getting so nervous about my ELCS...positive words needed please!

(5 Posts)
Helzapoppin Wed 27-Jul-11 15:37:49

Hi. I'm booked in to have DC2 by ELCS next Monday. DD was born by EMCS two and a half years ago. Despite having excellent support during my last 'labour' (I didn't actually go into proper labour, DD was in distress prior to labour, which was picked up by my midwife on a home visit so I went straight in for EMCS) , I can't really remember anything about it- I seem to have blocked out most of what happened the hospital, either in theatre and postnatally. ELCS chosen this time due to the circumstances of DD's birth (and potentially another dodgy placenta that won't hold out in labour) and sadly knowing a family living with the effects of a uterine scar rupture.

I've read plenty about the difficult recovery I'm in for, problems bonding with the baby, it not being a 'proper' birth, pain etc. and would really appreciate some positive words/stories. I know that another CS is the right choice for us (although a little bit of me does feel a bit of a wimp for not wanting to give natural birth a go) but I've started to feel pretty nervous about the whole thing so any positive stories, thoughts and words would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks smile

feckwit Wed 27-Jul-11 15:44:56

Oh I remember the feeling well (have had 4 sections).

I never wanted sections so always dreaded them as for me it was a situation I did not want to be in. But what I decided with no 3 (and then no 4), was that I was going to try to cherish the imposed hospital time. Knowing I would be in for 1 or 2 nights gave me time alone with my baby.

I booked a private room, think it was £45 a night, so I could feel more at home. I took good books. I took nice m and s food to treat myself. I made sure I had pampering things and painted my nails and moisturised etc so I felt good (am so vain!).

Just basically tried to make it "me" time!

EightiesChick Wed 27-Jul-11 15:49:34

My planned CS, done also for medical reasons, went very smoothly and I had a very good recovery. I had a noticeably better time of it than the other women on my ward who had EMCSs and were quite shell-shocked. An op is an op, but you are prepared this time so it has a good chance of being OK.

Helzapoppin Wed 27-Jul-11 17:00:58

Thanks for those thoughts. I like the idea of making the most of the 'me' time- I have packed a book I've been wanting to read for ages, perhaps I should take some chocolate too!
I'm really hoping I'll have a good recovery. The last few weeks of pregnancy have been a real challenge and I can't wait to meet our baby!

diyqueen Thu 28-Jul-11 12:29:47

And you're certainly not a 'wimp' for making this choice. Having a c-section and recovering from it certainly isn't a walk in the park, and you've made a choice that's best for the health of your baby and you as the mother of your other child - that makes you brave and a good mum for putting your family first. Hope it goes well - for what it's worth I had an ELCS 4 months ago as my baby was breech and although I was petrified and dreading it beforehand, in the event it was fine - not something I'd choose to do too often but it brought my beautiful baby into the world safely. It took several weeks to feel 'normal' again, but I was so wrapped up in my new baby that it flew past.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now