Talk

Advanced search

How far overdue can you go and still have a homebirth?

(16 Posts)
Reality Wed 27-Jul-11 10:03:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ShowOfHands Wed 27-Jul-11 10:08:45

Let you? Let you Reality? Are you feeling quite well? Doesn't sound like you...

Probably depends on the area. Round here they said 40+10 when I was pg with dd but had excellent midwives who said with expectant management they were open to discussion.

Waters popped at 38 weeks though so was irrelevant in the end.

Reality Wed 27-Jul-11 10:12:48

spudulika Wed 27-Jul-11 10:25:24

NICE guidelines recommend induction from 41 weeks. Many hospitals will 'allow' a mum go go 14 days past due date before real pressure is applied to encourage her to accept an induction. I suspect many midwives would be reluctant to attend a mother at home much past that point.

reikizen Wed 27-Jul-11 10:33:20

It depends on your trust and the midwives involved. If the trust will not support the midwife then she will lose her job and her PIN number (meaning she will never be able to practice as a midwife again) if she goes against their specific demands.
Our trust routinely induces at term+12 so would not support a home birth beyond that stage. I was term+10 with dd2 and they were not too happy about it but came out to me.

milkandnosugar Wed 27-Jul-11 11:11:47

Hey,
I'm due today but no sign still! However the midwife booked for my HB has been 'on call' since 37 weeks and up to 42 weeks. Tbh, I'm already that fed up that I'm tempted to get dh to open the HB 'kit' that has been sitting in our house since 36 weeks and get moving with the forceps! (ok kidding)
Basically, you aren't 'allowed' to do things by the NHS as unless you are sectioned under the mental health act as the law expects you to make your own informed decisions. Unless there is good reason to be induced, I would suggest that baby will come in it's own good time up to 42 weeks. After this stage I can understand that some midwives would be reluctant to attend at home. speak to them and ask, mine has been good at going through all my ' what ifs?'

susiesheep2 Wed 27-Jul-11 11:20:36

With my first HB I was told term+14 was the max, with my 2nd (same area) I was told term+7, now i am being told its now term+10.

As it happends DD1 was born term+12 (at home)

So I guess my point is, I am not sure how much changes in the last 5 years to warrant all the different "protocols" but I doubt the changes are based on any sort of scientic evidence...

I would stick to your guns about the homebirth until term+14, if you and baby are well, I dont think MW can refuse to attend up to this point. I might be wrong, but where I am North Cheshire - the dates don't seem set in stone.

PrincessJenga Wed 27-Jul-11 15:04:39

My midwife has told me I won't be 'allowed' a hb after 41+6. They will do first sweep at 41+1.

4madboys Wed 27-Jul-11 15:09:45

in may area they happily let you go to term plus 14days, it used to be term plus 10 but they changed the policy. i pushed and went to term plus 17, went in and had a bit of monitering and a scan to check on the placenta etc.

you can ask for 'expectant management' once your are term plus ten or whenever you want it, they cant make you go in and be induced and they cant make you go to hospital to give birht they have to provide a midwife if you ask for one smile

Secondtimelucky Wed 27-Jul-11 15:21:12

My hospital supports homebirth up to term +14, and encourages you to think about induction at +15. Thankfully, DD came at +9.

EggyAllenPoe Wed 27-Jul-11 18:46:51

in my area term +14. then they recomend induction, but will expectant mgmt if you ask.

although they want you to have a sweep before then, i told them to stuff it. more politely than that. had i gone over 42 weeks i would have still had a HB but it would have been more stressful.
they can't refuse to attend.

my last two HBs were at +10.

NoodieRoodie Wed 27-Jul-11 18:54:54

I'm planning a HB and have been told by my MW that they'll let me go +14 before I have to have an induction. I've said that if we start getting towards that time then we'll discuss options.

nannyl Wed 27-Jul-11 19:03:27

Im planning a HB

where i am they refuse to routinely induce until 40+14

I KNOW my dates are slightly wrong (3 days) and as i charted, used OPKs AND a CBFM (and i charted for months before too) I know my dates are right, and should they want to induce me, I will be going by MY dates. (ie 3 days later than my official due date)
I have all my charts and details etc should they want them!

I also will not be routinely induced, but am of course happy for monitoring, and if everything looks of hold on for a few more days. (and any issues will be induced without question)

Not sure what will happen then? I guess i'll need to ask my midwife, but i am certainly not being routinely induced, when i know i am not yet 14 days over.

I discussed my dates with sonographer who told me that their dates were only correct to within 5 days anyway, so I am not contraticting them as such.

EggyAllenPoe Wed 27-Jul-11 19:22:09

IIRC spud the NICE guidelines observe that most women go into spontaneous labour before 42 weeks, and that the daners of induction only surpass those of stilbirth at 42 weeks..and then advises it be offered from 41-2 weeks...cognitive dissonance?

WoTmania Wed 27-Jul-11 21:20:27

Purely anecdotal but i knew a lady who went 24 and 18 days over dates and had a homebirth both times. She said she would go in for monitoring/scans but wouldn't be induced unless necessary grin

Reality Wed 27-Jul-11 21:24:48

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now