Talk

Advanced search

how does your c-section scar/stomach feel 5 days after?

(10 Posts)
lizandlulu Tue 26-Jul-11 20:52:24

i had to go to a and e today after mine weeped through the dressing and i was worried that i had done some damage. thankfully it all looked ok and healing well, but was just wondering what other peoples felt like? i get a stinging sensation if i do something too quickly and several times have thought i have bust my stitches.

also just above the scar is still quite numb, is this normal? my midwife is coming tomorrow but you can guarantee i wont remember to ask any of this.

ALSO i have a kind of ache inside, lower than my chest but higher than my stomach. if i lie in certain positions at night or take a really deep breath, it aches. is that due to all the handandling at the actual operation? it was quite a ordeal to get the baby out as her back was in the wrong place (or something like that, not too sure of actual reasons) and there was quite alot of pushing and shoving to flip the baby over before getting her out.

anyway, just seeing how other people feel would make me feel better i think as i feel like i have been run over by a steamroller.

thank you.

TheOriginalFAB Tue 26-Jul-11 21:07:19

Please don't do anything you don't have to do and take it very very easy. I had problems with mine and can't have any more babies but as you have been checked and still have the midwife coming, hopefully you will be well looked after. Take care.

TheOriginalFAB Tue 26-Jul-11 21:08:26

Don't forget, you have had major surgery so you will feel battered and bruised but any concerns check with your midwife.

ajaybaines Tue 26-Jul-11 21:18:50

Hi, I wouold say I had a fantastic, speedy recovcery from my c-s but at 5 days it was all still pretty sore and tender.

I did go out to a festival at a local park at 5 days post natal and was very slow at working but able to ease myself to sit down and up on a grassy bank. Definitely didn't feel better though!

I had an ache similar to the one you mentioned - they had a bit of trouble getting DD2 out and there was a lot of pressure on that area when they did the op (I can remember it).

It's early days yet but you're right to keep an eye on everything. I didn't have much lochia after my c-s, it stopped after about a week but DID come back on a couple of occasions when I overdid it so look out for that as a warning sign too.

Oh, and if you think there's any hint of infection see a Dr straightaway. The corner of my c-s scar was a bit weepy and irritated and the m/w advised me to just keep airing it. I have a deep mistrust of m/w's (my issue, not entirely rational - related to a hideous prevous vaginal birth) and I basically ignored her and booked an appt with my GP who said it was a small infection and put me on antibiotics straightaway. It healed really well and I was very glad I caught it early.

Hope you feel better soon, oh, and congratulations on your new baby!

KristinaM Tue 26-Jul-11 21:23:03

i cant remember the detail as mine was 5 years ago but yes, i did feel like id been run over by a steam roller for the first week or so. the worst thing was turning over in bed and getting into / out of the bed. i also found being a passenger in the car was sore as the seat belt pressed on the scar

as other posters have said, its major surgery. there are layers of muscle that have been sliced through, the scar healing is the least of it. remember you must NEVER lift and twist and you should not be lifting anything heavier than your baby. when your DH/DP is around he should lift and change the baby, not you. do you have someone at home with you all day?

do not even THINK about doing any housework. ignore anyone who tells you that they were vacuuming/going round teh supermarket/ cooking dinner for 10 the week after. they are liars, fools or blessed with very short memories grin

lizandlulu Tue 26-Jul-11 21:32:02

thanks all for your speedy replies.

ajaybaines my experience sounds alot like yours, the doctor said one side was abit worse than the other but they gave me antibiotics there and then to ward off infection, also my lochia tailed off 3 days in, then came back yesterday and today.

kristinaM i have laid off the housework, just keeping skik/pots clean and bottles washed/made, but not got anyone at home all day. dh cant have time off work (family business, no one else to run it as dad is also ill) and have a 5 year old at home too. sods law its the start of the school holidayssad

sprinkles77 Tue 26-Jul-11 21:44:30

I am still a bit numb 16 months later. I assume will stay like that forever. Is less numb than a year ago though.

KristinaM Tue 26-Jul-11 21:56:01

is there no one who coudl take your 5yo for a few hours each day? neighbour? school / nursery mum? they might be glad to have another child to keep theirs company.

then you could rest when the baby is asleep

i suspect you are overdoing it

QTPie Tue 26-Jul-11 22:02:13

Hi

I had the numbness above my scar, faded with time. Not sure when it went away, but definitely quite a bit before 12 months.

Re lying in bed and breathing in really deeply.... go gentle! Major abdominal surgery - get comfortable and leave it at that.

Speak to your MW, but most of it sounds like you are overdoing it....

REALLY take it easy! I didn't lift a finger (apart from looking after myself and breastfeeding) for the first 2 weeks. I then still had a postnatal doula for 3 hours a day each week day for 4 weeks (supposed to be 3 weeks, but got food poisoning and very violent vomitting after a C Section in no joke - took a good few days to recover!). I did the minimum possible: really makes a huge difference.

Have you got any friends/family that you can get in to help? Can you afford a little paid help (just to help out with household chores - cleaning, washing, washing up, clearing up, maybe helping out with the 5 year old)? I think it is one of those times in life that getting as much help as possible is a great idea.

QT

lizandlulu Wed 27-Jul-11 09:40:47

thanks all, i think i may have been overdoing it abit. i thought because i felt well-ish i could do what i felt comfortable wiht, but obviousley i did too much.

i lost alot more of the watery blood out of the side of the scar last night and again was worried, it soaked the bed under me, but the midwife is coming this morning so can show her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now