Talk

Advanced search

Postpartum bleeding, I'm worried.

(9 Posts)
prolificwillybreeder Mon 25-Jul-11 20:21:14

I gave birth 9 days ago and my bleeding pretty much stopped a few days ago only to restart yesterday. It's not heavy i.e not soaking an entire pad in an hour or passing any clots.
Is it normal for the bleeding to restart?
Google has frightened the life out of me!

I am probably over doing it so I guess this might be why?

Help please! I am quite worried and hormonal sad

Raven78 Mon 25-Jul-11 21:05:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

neolara Mon 25-Jul-11 21:07:07

Yes, I think it is normal. I bled for up to 7 weeks with all of my 3 and I don't think this was considered abnormal. I'm pretty sure it stopped and started.

Limy Mon 25-Jul-11 21:08:26

Hi I can't say for definate that your bleeding is nornal, I am not a medical professional but it does sound normal to me - I was told that bleeding will carry on for up to 6 weeks. Your body has gone through a major event. Your hormones are obviously all over the place and this can cause havoc with bleeding. Try not to worry too much and give your HV or GP a ring in the morning. Take care

latrucha Mon 25-Jul-11 21:09:14

Mine almost stopped and then started up again for another six weeks, so it doesn't sound unheard of to me. If it's similar I wouldn't worry too much. Are you still under midwife care? If you're worried there's nothing wrong with calling the midwife or your GP.

galwaygirl Mon 25-Jul-11 21:09:33

Hi, this happened to mec- had tapered down changing colour and completely stopped only to restart after a couple of days bright red and reasonably heavy but not soaking the pad in the hour etc.
I had a PPH in theatre and had a manual removal of the placenta after which they weren't sure if they'd removed everything so wad convinced there was something wrong but it was all ok - I know it's way easier said than done but if it's not heavy try not to worry x

ShowOfHands Mon 25-Jul-11 21:11:49

What's worrying you? That you're still bleeding or that it has stopped and restarted?

It's normal to bleed for 6 weeks. The wound inside you where the placenta was is the size of a dinner plate. The stopping and restarting is often a clear sign that you are doing too much. Same as when the blood goes from being brown/pink, back to red. You're just aggravating a sensitive part of your body by taking on too much.

Signs that there's anything 'wrong' would be abnormally heavy bleeding, foul or offensive smelling blood, pain, temperature, feeling unwell.

Mine stopped and started a couple of times and lasted 6 weeks in the end.

Congratulations on your baby btw. I remember you being distinctly fed up towards the end iirc!

Sparkles23 Mon 25-Jul-11 21:21:59

I bled for 10 weeks in total with my ds, heavily at first, then after about 3 weeks it eased and I thought it would keep getting lighter so switched to thinner towels then it started very heavily again (haemmoraged in Sainsbury's-was awful blush). I think it very much varies from person to person and sounds completely normal, I think if you are worried or have any clots larger than a 50p then see a doc but otherwise sounds completely normal.

prolificwillybreeder Wed 27-Jul-11 09:27:47

Thank you for all your replies.
I was worried about the fact it had restarted.
Saw my midwife and said it was normal as I started to do more but would level itself out.
I'm off to see my doctor anyhow so will mention it.

Thank you again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now