Talk

Advanced search

elective c-section - did you shave your bikini line?

(10 Posts)
redundant Mon 25-Jul-11 14:49:40

Sorry, trivial Q I know! Op booked for tomorrow, I can't reach/see to do it, don't trust husband not to stuff it up in some way (!), should i just let hosp staff do it?

thanks

MrsCrazyLegs Mon 25-Jul-11 14:53:19

I was told by the hospital not to do it, as it can cause probs with healing. I didn't want to be too unkempt though, so I just tidied things up as best I could with some nail scissors! Good luck for tomorrow

NerfHerder Mon 25-Jul-11 14:54:29

No, and staff didn't either!
Last thing you need is ingrown hairs in your scar...

redundant Mon 25-Jul-11 14:59:06

oh ok, thanks - i will prob leave then, but in the leaflet i have, it says they will shave if you haven't done? Anyway, I am probably worrying about things that are not worth worrying about!

TrinaLuciusMalfoy Mon 25-Jul-11 16:41:24

Depends how high your hairline comes: certainly where I worked they'd shave the top centimetre or so, just to keep it out the way. I'd say not to bother - if they need to they'll do only as much as is necessary. You won't be coming home with a brazillian!

diyqueen Mon 25-Jul-11 16:43:40

I did because I thought the hospital staff would otherwise, but then was told they don't shave any more. I was glad I had when it came to taking the dressing off though - it was sore enough as I was, can't imagine it with 6 inches of sticky plaster stuck to hair... (shudders). You could phone the labour ward to check - they won't mind.

QTPie Tue 26-Jul-11 08:03:36

I did - using a mirror to see over the bump.

My hospital would have shaved it otherwise - didn't want someone else doing it with a rubbish disposable bic....

Best wishes for today.

HappyAsASandboy Tue 26-Jul-11 09:51:26

I did. Well my husband did it for me. Was highly undignified.

I was glad he'd done it when the midwife asked in the morning though. My memories of our wait in the hospital are lovely - the final hour or so of being a couple with no children :-) It all felt so exciting, and there wasn't any medically stuff (or shaving) to change that, right up until changing for theatre.

I'd say take off a couple of centimetres. As someone else said, removing the dressing was nerve racking enough without sticky tape and hair issues. And avoiding ingrowing hairs in the scar was easy enough - I just made sure I gently moved the skin around each day (very gentle, small movements), which helped hairs find their way through.

Good luck!

PaigeTurner Tue 26-Jul-11 20:35:10

A friend came over and waxed the top bit off for me a couple of days before - the hair didn't start growing back for a few weeks so no issue with scar.

Lovethesea Tue 26-Jul-11 20:47:56

The hospital shaved the top centimetre or so off, I'd just trimmed as much as I could given the bump blindness! As it is I'm not that hairy so my scarline is above the hairline by a centimetre anyway.

No problems at all with the cheap bic or the regrowth. I was distracted by DS and the abdominal surgery - it went really well, was a lovely birth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now