Talk

Advanced search

If you had episiotomy first birth what happened second time around?

(19 Posts)
HongKongBaby Mon 25-Jul-11 13:21:32

With DD 2.5 years ago was pushing for over 2 hours and in the end given episiotomy and ventouse was used to pull DD out. I have no details of severity of the cut as I gave birth in Hong Kong public health system where that sort of info. is not forthcoming. Cut healed up normally but was still uncomfortable to have sex up to a year later.

Now 30 weeks with no.2, also due to be delivered in Hong Kong public hospital. We get no pre-birth midwife support or indeed really much support during delivery (language barriers put midwives off speaking to westerners I think, I was just told 'push' then left on my own), so am doubly anxious.

My question is, if you had an episiotomy first time round did they insist on cutting again for second birth? Will it tear? Or can I hope to deliver without any cuts/tears?

Thanks

greycircles Mon 25-Jul-11 13:24:27

Mine tore, yes. But it tore along the line of the cut that had been made 2 years ago so it was easy to stitch up. I didn't have any problems with it. I am not sure what the actual procedure should be though, because I was in a very severely understaffed hospital over a bank holiday weekend and was only just allowed into a delivery suite in time.

sheeplikessleep Mon 25-Jul-11 13:27:34

Had epidural and ventouse with DS1 and episiotomy.

I tore with DS2.

Not sure how badly each time.

BUT, second labour sooooo much better. Apart from the tear, it all went much smoother.

Good luck!

sheeplikessleep Mon 25-Jul-11 13:28:10

Oh and DS2 was born after 3 minutes of pushing. Every labour different and if someone had told me DS2 would be born so quickly, I'd have laughed at them.

vitaestbonus Mon 25-Jul-11 13:30:44

I had episiotomy 1st time and not the 2nd. Got a tiny tear the 2nd time but not on episiotomy site.

StayingNearlyHeadlessNicksGirl Mon 25-Jul-11 14:09:16

I had an episiotomy with ds1, because I had been pushing for over 1.5 hours, and in labour for 36 hours before that, and the midwife knew I was exhausted, and said an episiotomy would enable me to push ds1 out in two contractions - otherwise I'd have ended up with a forceps or ventouse.

With both ds2 and ds3 I had some very slight tearing at the episiotomy scar, but on neither occasion was it severe enough to need any stitches at all, and both times it healed quickly and with no problems whatsoever.

Each time I had thought about perineal massage (to make the scar more supple and less likely to tear) but never got round to it, and, as I say, never had a bad tear. But if you are worried, perineal massage might help.

harassedandherbug Mon 25-Jul-11 14:32:06

Ds1 was back to back so had forceps and episiotomy. Ds2 was induced and I tore, but it was soooo much better than episiotomy. With dd (dc3) I had a very normal labour and no tears or episiotomies, even though she was 1lb heavier than ds2!

Now preg with dc4 and hoping this one will just fall out wink.

ClaimedByMe Mon 25-Jul-11 14:36:38

Mine tore but only needed 2 stitches

Ambergambler Mon 25-Jul-11 21:08:59

With DS1 I had episiotomy because he was breech. He was 4 weeks early and 5lb 5oz. DS2 I did have a tear, he was 7lb 14oz. I asked if it was absolutely necessary to have it stitched, and it wasn't. The healing was much better without stitches for me. I am very glad I spoke up, as they didn't ask, they were just going to do it regardless.

Ambergambler Mon 25-Jul-11 21:09:30

Oh, and DS2 was back to back... forgot to say

porcupine11 Mon 25-Jul-11 21:10:54

I tore second time, but not along the cut scar. It healed a million times better, quicker, pain free practically. I think tearing is better.

TheSecondComing Mon 25-Jul-11 21:10:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DrCoconut Mon 25-Jul-11 23:23:26

I had an episiotomy with both of my boys. DS1 was taking a long time and they needed to hurry him along. DS2 got stuck and I needed an assisted delivery. But at antenatal with DS2 my MW said there was no guarantee that I would need another cut, it just depends how it goes on the day. I was unlucky. But both healed OK and were not too sore with pain relief as supplied by the hospital.

HongKongBaby Tue 26-Jul-11 08:09:24

Thanks for all the reassurance.

Chandon Tue 26-Jul-11 08:11:48

Had it twice, and it healed nicely.

better than ripping IMHO.

BelleEnd Tue 26-Jul-11 08:14:40

I had an episiotomy, forceps and ventouse becuase ds1 was back to back, a 26-hour-labour. DS2, who was A LOT bigger, came very very quickly, and though I was given an episiotomy because of his big head, the healing was so much easier and pretty pain-free compared with no. 1.

Huffpot Tue 26-Jul-11 08:18:17

I had an episiotomy the first time after a very long spell of pushing but with DS 2 no bother
No tears or rips and out after 20 minutes pushing smile

statueofliberty Tue 26-Jul-11 08:23:21

DS was back to back so yes I had an episiotomy,took while to heal,scared badly.Dd was born 2years later,no tare,no stitches needed.was very relieved because had her at home and didn't fancy being transferred to hosp for big stitch up like before!

4madboys Tue 26-Jul-11 08:28:43

had an episiotomy with ds1 after three hours of pushing!

with ds2 i tore and needed stitches and then with ds3 i tore slightly but not enough for stitches and with ds4 no tearing at all even tho he was 10lb 13oz, then with dd no tearing either smile

i found that my two tears healed much quicker than my episiotomy did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now