Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Cohosh??

(3 Posts)
fizzypigs Sun 24-Jul-11 20:52:45

Was wondering if anyone had any experience of using this towards end of pregnancy? I've heard it's quite effective. Would live to hear peoples experiences eg when did you start? did it work? how often / much did you have? Thanks!

FutureNannyOgg Sun 24-Jul-11 21:58:18

You need to speak to a properly qualified herbalist, they will have blue and black cohosh, it's call caulophyllum.

Although it is a herb (or homeopathic treatment if you go down that route) it is important to remember that by taking it, you are artificially inducing your labour, and the risks must be considered as you would if you were going for a medical induction. Personally I would only use if in a very tight spot (eg desperate for a home delivery but overdue and under pressure to induce). Ultimately, when the baby is ready they usually come of their own accord.

It is also worth considering post birth to bring on the placenta, a mild tea does the job.

LynetteScavo Sun 24-Jul-11 22:17:29

I tried to buy some (over when 10 days over due, and desperate for a home birth) but no one would sell it to me - it was a bit obvious why I wanted it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: