Talk

Advanced search

How many maternity pads should I buy?

(45 Posts)
PinkFondantFancy Sun 24-Jul-11 18:42:51

How many maternity pads should I buy? I've got 20 so far. When I had a MC at 8 weeks last year, I was soaking super strong Always through every hour for a few days - is bleeding after giving birth likely to be this heavy? I've bought Natracare maternity pads to take to hospital with me.

GwendolineMaryLacey Sun 24-Jul-11 18:43:47

Yes. Buy lots. And then double it. Of course everyone is different but I was wearing three at a time at one stage!

ClaimedByMe Sun 24-Jul-11 18:48:21

Im with the above poster, buy as many as possible and show them to your other half and show him where he can get them fom when you need emergancy supplies so he doesnt come back with some always ultra <bitter experience>

NettoSuperstar Sun 24-Jul-11 18:51:30

At least 2000, and then a few more on top of that.

Ineedacleaneriamalazyslattern Sun 24-Jul-11 18:52:01

I was going to say exactly the same what you think you need then dluble it.
I honestly cannot remember how many i had but all 3 times I did buy loads and still needed more. I can't remeber either how many are in a pack is it 12? I honestly think I had 6 packets lsst time and often did wear 2 or 3 at a time sometimes.
If you live close to shops it's not so bad as you csn always send someone out for more.

PinkFondantFancy Sun 24-Jul-11 18:56:52

Hehehe ok thanks guys, I was assuming there would be lots more blood than at 8 weeks but it's hard to imagine how it can flow out much faster than the mad rate it was before!! Eeek! I have visions of taking a massive suitcase to the hospital jammed full of nothing but maternity pads - standard periods are usually like a shark attack..... shock grin

PinkFondantFancy Sun 24-Jul-11 18:58:59

Any idea if Natracare are any good? They don't have wings which is slightly worrying....

NettoSuperstar Sun 24-Jul-11 19:00:59

You will need wings, and pants that you don't mind binning.

piprabbit Sun 24-Jul-11 19:04:03

DH did have to overcome his fear of buying more packs in Tesco grin.
And he had to make sure he knew where I kept my supplies of giant, cheap, cotton pants...and how to work the washing machine so I could have clean nighties in hospital. Poor lamb - was all a terrible shock.
I went for cheapy own brand Tesco pads and they were fine...a bit like walking around with a brick in your pants.

Moulesfrites Sun 24-Jul-11 19:05:58

I bought two packs of 10. The lady on the checkout in Boots said "My love, you'll need to treble that at least!" And she was right.

5inthebed Sun 24-Jul-11 19:08:56

Get yourself some really cheap knickers that you can just throw away if they get bloodied.

I used Always pads for all three of mine, not the ultra thin ones, the ones like a mattress between your legs. MW at the hospital after I had DS3 was quite grumpy about me using them as apparently they don't show how much blood you are losing.

GwendolineMaryLacey Sun 24-Jul-11 19:11:55

I had Tesco and Mothercare and they were both fine. They were like mattresses but that's what you need tbh. Good solid wads. And they're a bit softer to sit on too grin

supergreenuk Sun 24-Jul-11 19:14:26

Non. Go for tena lady heavy flow. They are much wider. I ended up having to put 2 maternity pads side by side in my nickers. If only someone had told me.

LynetteScavo Sun 24-Jul-11 19:17:48

Lots.

kando Sun 24-Jul-11 19:18:49

I didn't buy nearly enough first time round! Agree with others - get lots and lots and lots, and def get the ones with wings. I also had to double up at the beginning, and wore disposable pants for the first couple of days afterwards for all three of my dds' births. It does feel like you're walking around with a brick in your pants, but in a comforting sort of way!

Astronaut79 Sun 24-Jul-11 19:21:48

Yeah yeah about the pads; stock up on disposable maternity knickers. THE most comfotable knickers EVER! I gave mine up rather reluctantly (and I have a drawer full of lovly frillies). Looking forward to Dc2 so I can wallow in them again grin

NonnoMum Sun 24-Jul-11 19:21:54

Sorry to be brutal but if you have stitches (eugh but likely) make sure you have proper maternity pads and not common or garden always or Tena lady etc.
The maternity pads are made of cotton, and the usual pads are made of plastic. Guess which are better next to sore nether regions?
But I only ever worn one at once!!

piprabbit Sun 24-Jul-11 19:36:46

Oh - and I had some Witch Hazel to slosh on my pads, certainly seemed to help with the healing and feeling comfortable.

discrete Sun 24-Jul-11 19:40:39

I followed the advice given on this thread and bought 4 packs. 2dc later, I still have 2.5 packs sitting in the closet....and that's because I felt a bit daft not using them at all having bought so many.

They are horrible, huge, uncomfortable things and I just could not bring myself to wear them after the first day.

piprabbit Sun 24-Jul-11 19:43:17

discrete - obviously not this thread - which only started one hour ago grin.

discrete Sun 24-Jul-11 19:44:01

I'm a time traveller wink

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Sun 24-Jul-11 19:45:07

I think it was two big packs and then onto heavy flow always.

I tried to move onto always on day three but the extra cushion from the maternity pads was fab for my stiches shock

piprabbit Sun 24-Jul-11 19:49:01

grin

mejon Sun 24-Jul-11 21:13:43

I obviously bought far too many as I've got at least 3 packs left over and I'm sure I bled for at least 3 or 4 weeks afterwards. Almost 6 months down the line, the left-overs have come in handy though as I've just had my first post birth period and it was hugely heavy - I needed both a super plus tampon and a maternity pad and was needing to change at least 2 hourly for the first few days.

Chynah Sun 24-Jul-11 21:18:15

discrete - agree totally. Bought 2 packs of 10 which lasted 2DC and I think I binned a few after that. Absolutely horrid creations. Always were much nicer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now