Talk

Advanced search

waterbirth / placenta question

(7 Posts)
heffalumpbump Fri 22-Jul-11 10:29:23

Hi I'm 3 days overdue and planning to have a waterbirth at my local midwife led unit at some point in the next few days - if baby ever decides to make an appearance!

Just thinking about the 3rd stage where the placenta is delivered. If I have had baby in the pool will I deliver the placenta in there too or do they make you get out for that bit?

I'm sure by then I won't be too worried either way, just getting bored now and thinking of every little detail... Any one have any experience of this?

MotherPanda Fri 22-Jul-11 10:32:52

Hiya - they would normally ask you to get out of the pool to deliver the placenta - as being in the pool can slow the 3rd stage down and theres a higher risk of it being retained in your body!

It's also important to be able to measure how much blood you're losing - which is near impossible if you're in the water.

I'm 2 days overdue and am planning a waterbirth at home - I'll race you!

GoldenGreen Fri 22-Jul-11 10:35:36

I have had two waterbirths and I got out of the pool to deliver the placenta both times. Best of luck to you both and hope it happens soon!

fatbottomgirl Fri 22-Jul-11 10:36:17

I delivered DC3 in the pool and they were happy for me to have a natural 3rd stage in the pool, however after the baby arrived I really wanted out the water and to get settled so I climbed out and they gave me the injection.

Due DC4 in the next 10 days and the plan is to do the same.

Good luck

MotherPanda Fri 22-Jul-11 10:36:29

Thanks GoldenGreen smile

heffalumpbump Fri 22-Jul-11 10:49:02

Thanks for such quick responses! I look forward to reading your birth announcements soon x

TurtlesAreRetroRight Fri 22-Jul-11 10:51:25

I attempted a home waterbirth (ended up transferring in) but the midwives said there was absolutely no reason not to deliver the placenta in the pool but that the decision was mine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now