Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had a hospital birth and not laboured or delivered on the bed?

(42 Posts)
hollyw Fri 22-Jul-11 00:18:22

I've been hoping for a homebirth but its looking like I might have to go into hospital. I've had 2 vbacs but with both I ended up on the bed to give birth. Has anyone actually managed to give birth in hospital on the floor/squatting, anywhere other than the bed? Last time in particular I remember feeling pushed into getting onto the bed as it was more convenient for the midwives to see what was going on.

fraktious Fri 22-Jul-11 00:32:06

I wasn't pressured to do so and spent majority of labour off the bed but when it came to pushing on all fours the bed was softer on my knees!

TransatlanticCityGirl Fri 22-Jul-11 07:29:32

Although mine ended up as an EMCS, I started off spending a lot of time on the ball (even with an epidural) initially. I was also offered a birthing stool. However, I soon learned that the bed was quite cool as it transformed itself into a birthing stool like chair which I found far more comfortable.
The bed isn't always as bad as it sounds!

Bunbaker Fri 22-Jul-11 07:37:07

I tried all sorts of positions not on the bed, but ultimately found being half propped up on the bed the most comfortable position for me. The labour room was pretty small so there wasn't much room for moving around anyway.

Primafacie Fri 22-Jul-11 08:11:25

First baby - water birth in hospital, I gave birth in the water
Second baby - gave birth on my knees on hospital bed, with "back rest" fully upright and facing the wall behind it if you see what I mean. The baby shot out after two minutes of pushing and I was very glad it fell on the bed rather than the floor smile

PipPipPip Fri 22-Jul-11 10:56:01

Bed in upright, chair position. Me kneeling on the bed, with arms draped over the upright bit. Bloody great.

A friend delivered in the same hospital using a birthing stool.

Good luck! x

Tangle Fri 22-Jul-11 12:55:40

DD2 was born in hospital - all their delivery rooms had a mat and a ball, and for me it was most comfortable to kneel on the mat and drape over a pile of pillows on the edge of the (fairly low) bed.

You can always be versatile and take the mattress off the bed if you want to kneel on the floor wink, or get your birth partner to play with the controls and see if you can get it into a position where you're more comfortable. If you like the idea of a ball and your hospital don't have them available, you can take your own in (ditto matt, although the hospital ones were plastic wrapped and easy to clean - not sure I'd want to re-use a yoga/camping mat after birthing on it uncovered!)

OfflineFor30Years Fri 22-Jul-11 13:01:02

Standing up, leaning on the bed. I wasn't really thinking about it, just trying to get comfortable during the contractions.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Sat 23-Jul-11 21:24:51

hb transfered in due to mec liquor. Continued to labour walking around. Gave birth on bed but like primafacia's second took decidely longer than two minutes though.

Bed doesn't mean you have to be on your back. You can move the bits around so arrange it to support you however you want. Good luck. grin

wigglesrock Sat 23-Jul-11 21:35:13

With dd2 I laboured and gave birth kneeling by the side of the bed, and I was induced with her too grin

Becaroooo Sat 23-Jul-11 21:37:03

Yes.

Had 2 hospital births;

ds1; active labour and gave birth squatting with dh supporting me

ds2: was on bed during labour as was being monitored but gave birth kneeling on the floor.

Joolyjoolyjoo Sat 23-Jul-11 21:41:11

3 hospital births, not one in a bed! grin

I was adamant I didn't want to be on a bed, for some reason, so all 3 on the floor. dd1 with beanbags, DH squashed under the bed to hold my hand! DD2 on all fours on a mattress on the floor next to the pool, ds on the mattress on the floor near the pool, tried all fours, but he was back-to-back, so ended up sitting up.

I felt too huge for those narrow hospital beds, tbh! (and also wanted to be able to run away if the need arose, although getting off the floor may have been a problem!!)

BooBooGlass Sat 23-Jul-11 21:45:10

The great thing about hospital beds is that they can raise them up really high. All I used the bed for when I had ds was to lean over. I spent the second stage in a supported squat and on all fours. It felt very odd to climb into the bed afterwards. With dd I was induced and practically strapped to the bed so I was so anti even getting on the bed in case they didn't let me off. Being active was the best decision I made, and I was so grateful that my midwife was so pro active birth. I had no internals, and she just sat quietly next to me watching, and offering encouragement when needed. Make it very clear in your birth plan, and also to your birth partner, that you want to avoid lying down.

QueeferSutherland Sat 23-Jul-11 21:54:55

I've had 3 hospital births and two were squatting on the bed. The midwife was about to ask me to stand on the floor with DS2 as he was not coming out.

The maternity dept I work in tries to discourage ladies thinking they have to lie down by putting beds against the wall rather than in the middle of the room.

The staff should be fine with you leaping about, unless the baby's being monitored. If not, tell them to sod off.

Bunbaker Sat 23-Jul-11 21:59:08

Why the anti bed thing? I tried squatting and found it unbearably uncomfortable. Walking about was just as bad, so I found being propped up on a bed the most comfortable position for me

BooBooGlass Sat 23-Jul-11 22:01:50

I don;t think it's anto-bed especially to acknowledge that lying down is just about the worst position there is to give birth. We're just not designed to do it that way. But having said that, when I was in transition I did ask to just lie down on the bed so I could go to sleep. No chance wink

hollyw Sat 23-Jul-11 22:04:02

Thanks everyone. I'm determined to stand my ground more this time and not get on the bed unless I want to. Joolyjoolyjoo I am so with you on wanting to be able to run away if the need arises!

As I've had a previous c-section they will be asking me to be continuously monitored but I have spoken to the supervisor of midwives and she has written in my notes that I don't want this and that I understand the reason why it is offered .

hazeyjane Sat 23-Jul-11 22:04:23

First 2 births started in MLU, active, no beds in labour rooms.

Both ended up on bed, on back, wired up to monitors.

3rd birth- elcs.

Withwoman Sun 24-Jul-11 21:09:32

You don't know what trouble we have getting women off of the beds!

lollystix Sun 24-Jul-11 21:45:49

I had 2 vbacs and second was waterbirth where I gave birth in the water. No cfm with that.

Nagini Sun 24-Jul-11 21:49:17

On the bed all fours over the headboard smile

I am bossy and no one tried to tell me what to do.

AmazingBouncingFerret Sun 24-Jul-11 21:54:07

With DS I spent most of my labour in the bath on the labour ward, I then transferred to a bed and gave birth on my side with one leg in the air!

With DD I didnt get my much wanted bath, I asked if I could run the bath when I arrived and the midwife just laughed at me and said I didnt really have time, I had DD about 20 minutes later!

bonkers20 Sun 24-Jul-11 22:05:21

DS2 I was on the bed but on all fours with my bare arse facing the window
I had been checked for progress on the bed when I arrived and never really got off it. It was a very wide, sort of platform thing - so maybe not the bed at all.

DS1 I laboured leaning over the headboard, but opted for an epidural in the end and thus was on the bed on my back from then on.

eurochick Mon 25-Jul-11 15:56:10

Bunbaker because if you are on your back not only do you not have gravity to help you, you effectively end up pushing uphill because you ahve to get the baby over the lip of the perineum. So it is much harder work!

Bunbaker Mon 25-Jul-11 21:58:31

"Bunbaker because if you are on your back not only do you not have gravity to help you, you effectively end up pushing uphill because you ahve to get the baby over the lip of the perineum. So it is much harder work!"

I know you are right, but I found all other positions too uncomfortable. Luckily I had quite a short labour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now