Talk

Advanced search

hypnobirthing, vbac and twins nw london

(10 Posts)
tiggersreturn Thu 21-Jul-11 18:57:23

I had an emcs with ds for failure to progress (OP and induction which failed at 8cm) 4 1/2 years ago. I am not expecting twins and have agreed that if the dts try and put in an appearance by themselves I'm prepared to see what happens.

With ds' labour I found the pain suddenly got dramatically worse after my waters went quite early on and I really couldn't manage. As a result I had an epidural and I believe that as a result of that ds was unable to move from OP or to effectively put pressure on the cervix and therefore got stuck. Accordingly if I'm going to do this again I'd like to find some technique to work with the pain better as the pink method and nct classes (lamaze) obviously didn't do it for me.

In the intervening period I attended a hypnotherapy course for relaxation as I suffered from secondary infertility and discovered that I was reasonably good at self-hypnosis, imagery etc. I have booked a session with the lady who taught this course but she's only just started doing hypnobirthing techniques. Should I try and do this with her or is it a better idea to go with someone who just does this sort of thing? If so does anyone have any recommendations for someone good in nw london?

sugarsnappea Thu 21-Jul-11 20:18:36

You could try Katharine Graves she does courses at triyoga Primrose Hill. I did a course with her first time round and am using her techniques again though I found that hypnobirthing wasn't enough once labour got intense and used yoga techniques and active birth techniques too - it is good to have a whole bag of tricks for distracting from the incredible pain (screw what they say about pain just being fear; labour hurts!) I also highly recommend Juju Sundin's 'Birth Skills' it is a brilliant book!
Good luck

ohmeohmy Thu 21-Jul-11 20:48:00

If you want the Mongan Method HypnoBirthing check out registered practitioners on HypnoBirthing.com. I teach private classes in Herts & NW London. PM me if you want to have no obligation chat.

tiggersreturn Thu 21-Jul-11 20:50:12

What exactly is the mongan method?

NoseyNooNoo Wed 27-Jul-11 23:09:31

The Mongan method is the original HypnoBirthing method. Marie Mongan is the lady who devised it. If you want to ensure that the course you take is the full course in its entirety and that the instructor is fully qualified then you are best off choosing a Certified HypnoBirthing practitioner. There is a full list here: hypnobirthing.com/england.htm

tiggersreturn Thu 04-Aug-11 21:48:21

Ohmeohmy a question raised by dh. I have type 1 diabetes and am aware when I have hypos. If I'm in a trance state I lose this awareness and in labour it is very important to avoid them. How could this be dealt with?

BagofHolly Fri 05-Aug-11 08:30:48

Type 1 diabetic, previous section and twins, I'd have thought you'd be recommended to go for cs in any case. Do you know if they're dcda/mcma, etc? I was told that unless their presentation is excellent and there are no other risk factors then a vb is fine, but as soon as you add in other factors, some of which might not be apparent yet (eg baby size, excess fluid, identicals, GD etc) then a cs becomes safer as the burden of risk is on the mum.
My ELCS with twins was fine, btw. V calm, utterly pain free, and they were fine too despite being a bit early, 36 wks.

tiggersreturn Fri 05-Aug-11 14:19:58

DCDA and first 5 obs said ELCS only. Change of heart is partly cost driven but I have looked into it thoroughly and am prepared to give it a go if it all starts off naturally and goes well. According to the literature there is unsurprisingly not enough research material to reach a conclusion. I am concerned about the generally poorer outcomes for dt2 with vb but am having my birth options meeting this week and intend to discuss all of that very thoroughly before agreeing to going ahead.

BagofHolly Fri 05-Aug-11 16:38:06

Cost?! Anyway surely an EMCS after labouring is way more expensive than ELCS?

tiggersreturn Fri 05-Aug-11 18:25:05

Definitely. I think you posted on my other thread about this. I'm having my birth options meeting next week and if it sounds like it'll be impossible to labour then I will refuse. If however there is a possibility of delivering the babies safely and w/out cutting me open then I'd like to prepare myself for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now