Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

c-section with bad cold?

(12 Posts)
redundant Thu 21-Jul-11 16:30:04

hello, posted about this a few days ago, but bloomin cold doesn't seem to be getting any better. Am full of snot (sorry! - no other way to describe it!) and am blowing my nose and coughing on a fairly regular basis.

I went to GP on Tues (as elective section is booked next Tues) and she said no chest infection, but gave me some anti-b's to try and help knock it on the head.

Does anyone know what they'll do it I still have cold by either next Tues or if I go into labour before then? Anaesthatist (sp) said that I wouldn't be able to physically cough due to epidural, which apparently can be quite frightening. Also cough with stitches doesn't sound very appealing either!

If i have to VBAC (which I really don't want to do) won't I have the same problem with any epidural then too?

Gosh, I am very good at timing things badly!

TrinaLuciusMalfoy Thu 21-Jul-11 16:49:17

Is your elcs booked ahead of your due date?

redundant Thu 21-Jul-11 16:55:55

only by 2 days - so lot closer than they would normally do (a catalogue of unrelated disasters meant they couldn't schedule it earlier). So could delay, but tbh i think there's a pretty good chance i might go into labour before Tues anyway.

TrinaLuciusMalfoy Thu 21-Jul-11 17:11:08

Hm, tricky. If you go beforehand there's not a lot they can do, but I'd say that if not and you're not fit for surgery on the day they may have to postpone. Is there any way you could get in touch with your anaesthestist to ask? Try ringing the hospital switchboard and asking for his secretary - she may know the answer anyway, it's surprising what we admin types pick up from the medical types we have to talk to wink

redundant Thu 21-Jul-11 18:30:33

I think I will do, esp with the weekend ahead, so i have a bit of an idea what to expect - thank you.

mosschops30 Thu 21-Jul-11 18:34:15

Im unsure as to why you wouldnt cough with an epidural. You can still breathe, vomit etc, it shouldnt affect your respiratory effort

redundant Thu 21-Jul-11 18:37:51

anaesth said its because you need your stomach muscles in order to cough, and i would be numb from boobs down. But am bit worried that'll be the same whether i have epidural to cs or vbac?

Thought of first time vbac with only gas and air as an option is mildly terrifying!

mosschops30 Thu 21-Jul-11 19:04:04

hmm not sure about that. I still managed to vomit all over the aneasthetic nurse whilst on the op table

redundant Thu 21-Jul-11 19:37:48

really? that's mildly reassuring if you don't mind me saying!

Memoo Thu 21-Jul-11 20:07:15

Tbh I think your GP is talking bollocks.

I had a section with an epidural and could definitely still cough! Had a cold at the time too and it was no problem at all.

Memoo Thu 21-Jul-11 20:09:14

Sorry, anesthetist is talking rubbish not GP

Honeyfuzzycat Thu 21-Jul-11 22:46:41

I had an elective c section, and it was amazing! I had some tablets to take the night before to help prevent me from being sick, and I took one in the morning of the section (I did not even feel sick). When I did have the epidural and spinal block, I will be honest, I could not clear my throat, and that did panic me, but the anesthetisit was so reassuring and told me that my breathing was 100% and everything was just fine, then she said 'do you realise they have started' and I said 'oh shut up' and then there was my baby, within seconds! I would not want to cough after having a c section, I would imagine that would hurt, but they are so sure to make sure you are not in pain, ask for morphine, it is wonderful stuff. I was up and walking the next day, I was bent over a bit, but best to get walking as soon as possible. Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now