Talk

Advanced search

Paracetemol/codeine mix during early labour - is it ok?

(5 Posts)
ButterflySally Thu 21-Jul-11 13:08:12

Hi, I'm 39+5 so am on the big countdown and getting the TENS machine ready and going through my pain relief options!

During my NCT classes, we were told that a paracetemol/codeine mix was ok to take during early labour (more effective than paracetemol alone).

However, I'm just a little hesitant as I know generally only paracetemol is ok to take in pregnancy. I've also read some evidence to suggest codeine can suppress a neonate's breathing (not sure what quantity would do this).

Does anyone have any experience of using codeine/paracetemol during early labour?

elizabethsiddal Thu 21-Jul-11 14:02:21

hello, I am not sure if this is exactly useful, but I have been taking 2 x 30/500 cocodamol 4 times a day for the last 14 weeks of my pregnancy (am 41+2) for severe SPD. My consultant and midwife are happy for me to have all that in my system, as without it I can barely move! They have no concerns about the baby.

I am sure that the over the counter dose of codiene and paracetomol (8/500) would be fine for early labour, afterall, pethadine is a much stronger opiate and is routinely given during labour.

Badgerwife Thu 21-Jul-11 16:44:13

I was just offered it by the midwife at triage when I went for a check-up an hour ago. I'm in early labour at the moment and just coping with the TENS machine. She did say I would have to take it in hospital though, so I am not sure you should self medicate on codeine without calling the labour ward first to check it's OK.

ButterflySally Thu 21-Jul-11 17:03:15

Wow, badgerwife, I'm impressed you've taken the time to respond whilst in early labour! Hope it all goes well for you, best of luck.

Thanks for all responses...when the time comes I'll check with hospital before I take.

Badgerwife Thu 21-Jul-11 17:11:33

Believe it or not, it's a very gradual thing. I'm having contractions every seven minutes. In between them, I feel absolutely fine!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now