Talk

Advanced search

Only just found out I have Group B Strep and DD is 18 days old

(4 Posts)
milliemuffin Wed 20-Jul-11 20:23:59

I was admitted to hospital on Sunday with heavy blood loss (DD was 15 days old) and I found out today I have GBS. As I didn't know before today it means DD did not get antibiotics when she was born and now I'm worried sick. She's due to have her tongue tie snipped next week and I'm not sure if they'll do it but my main worry is she's quite a sleepy baby and she did have a rash yesterday although the paediatrician in hospital wasnt worried about it as all her other obs were ok but then she didn't know about the GBS.

Has anyone else been told they have GBS after the birth? I've two toddlers aswell so I'm even worrying about how I can keep a close eye on DD but also give them the attention they really need from me at the moment. My eldest who's nearly 4 totally blanked me tonight sad

So worried, any advice will be much appreciated.

mumsiepie Wed 20-Jul-11 22:14:55

Google www.gbss.org.uk and phone them tomorrow. They are so very helpful. About a third of the population carry Group B Strep vaginally. Look at the signs and symptoms on the web site. They are the same for meningitis/sceptacaemia and it is good to be aware of them.....but just because you carry this bug, as do many other women, it doesn't mean your DD will be contaminated. Remember all her obs were ok and they wouldn't be if she was affected. How is the rash today? What did the paediatrician think it was caused by? xx

Numberjacker Wed 20-Jul-11 22:37:45

Hi Millie

We had a similar experience. Just about to leave hospital with DD, she was 3 days old ( she is 3 now) and told we couldn't be discharged. Tests from me came back with GBS. We were handed a letter with a leaflet on what to watch out for. Kind of ruined the "coming home" feeling as it is scary when you read up about it. However midwife and HV were brill and put it in perspective for us. As I remember, it is present in a quarter of women, but most never know as would not have reason to be tested. Also, v unlikely it is passed on to child, but because it can be serious they have to make you aware. I got HV to check her every visit as I was worried I wouldn't recognise the symptoms ( I wouldn't know what a "floppy" baby was!) DD also got heat rash and they weren't worried as it passed the "glass" test. If I remember rightly (but check with website as it was 3 years ago) It is unusual for it to present itself weeks after birth, I think it is usually apparent within days, so I hope you can relax a little.

PotteringAlong Sat 23-Jul-11 22:38:39

I'm currently pregnant and tested positive for GBS - my midwife has told me they will monitor me and the baby closely for 7 days as if they've caught the infection it would be apparent in 4 days and they say a week just to be overly cautious so you should both be ok.

Congratulations on the birth of your DD! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now