Talk

Advanced search

Vaginal soreness 9 weeks after birth (TMI?)

(7 Posts)
Rosduk Wed 20-Jul-11 17:39:42

My DD is now 9 weeks old - born by forceps and episiotomy.
Everything healed including the stitches and I have started swimming and have been walking since the birth but I still don't feel right 'down there.' Although nothing actually hurts - every now and again (normally if I squat down) my lady bits seem to ache and randomly through the day sometimes it feels a bit grazed. I'm pretty terrified about having sex again and even if I did I can't seem to feel any sensation anyway!

I'm sure its common but it is making me feel like they will never be normal again! My GP checked and there doesnt appear to be anything wrong but I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem!

:/

homeedmam11 Wed 20-Jul-11 19:40:20

Aww bless you, I had a forceps delivery too, and was so numb after the epidural and then spinal for theater for forceps I am actually still numb, think its nerve damage. I would speak to your GP, saves you worrying hun.smilexxx
PS: my ds is 20mths.sad

keepmumshesnotsodumb Wed 20-Jul-11 20:06:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Glitterybits Wed 20-Jul-11 20:12:24

I didn't have an episiotomy, but I know it took me a long time to go back to anything like normal down there. I clearly remember throwing my DH off me at around the 7 week mark when we made a very poor attempt at getting back to normal! grin blush. My 6 week check was also very healthy and normal, but I felt grazed, numb and occasionally too open down there - particularly when I sat up from a lying down position. It felt as though the entire area was numb and not my own. Sorry TMI I know!

FWIW, it did gradually get better and better, but the healing process is not a one size fits all thing and don't be afriad to go back to your GP if you are concerned. I agree that hormones can play a big role in terms of how long it takes for things to feel right. smile

Lainey1981 Wed 20-Jul-11 21:44:29

Hi,
Congrats on your dd smile
i had dsalmost 8 months and was forceps extended episiotomy. I totally relate to what you are saying, I actually felt ok for a few days after the birth, but then for about three months afterwards had a lot of pain, numbness, bruising, heavy feeling. Can't remember when it improved, probably about 4-5 months post natal. But it has improved, and the only time I get the same pain/ feeling now is when I have my period when my whole vagina hurts like it did 5 days after birth. If you are worried make an appt with your gp, but i think that given a little more time you will feel a big improvement
Oh an re sex, me and dp tried 11 weeks post partum and it was painful where the episiotomy was, but pretty much as it was before apart from my slack pelvic floor
It is still early days, take it easy, wait until you are ready and accept that it may take a few attempts before you feel comfortable to complete the deed

Rosduk Wed 20-Jul-11 22:27:12

Thanks everyone. It's strange- You learn all about labour for nine months but Boone prepares you for the recovery! X

PrincessScrumpy Thu 21-Jul-11 22:01:20

I would say it took me 10months to feel properly recovered from 30+ stitches. It wasn't horrendous pain just uncomfortable and I didn't think dh and I would ever have more children as sex was not something I enjoyed. At about 10 months I think it was when I finally enjoyed it and it got better from then on.

A couple of glasses of wine helped with that too (gps advice) as I think over the months I was scared of sex as it had hurt when we'd tried before.

On the positive side, it gets much better and only now when pg and things are swollen below can I even feel the scar tissue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now