Talk

Advanced search

What was that all about?? possibly daft labour question...

(4 Posts)
mamaganoush Tue 19-Jul-11 22:15:29

Sitting here snuggled up with my beautiful ds3 who's 5 weeks old... and pondering over my labour, like you do! I was wondering if anyone could explain what happened (or didn't!)

I planned a home birth and started at about 4.30pm. Everything was trundling along nicely and as expected. Midwife said she thought I was 7cm because my toes were curling with the contractions and that the linea negra line was growing up between my botty cheeks, apparently both signs of dilation. At about 9.30pm I went through the wobbly transition bit then felt like I wanted to push, I was squatting and pushing but nothing was happening. The midwives checked me and I was only 6cm!

I understand that the midwives might have misread the external signs of my dilation but how can my body have thought that the baby was ready to come? Would it have anything to do with ds being spine to spine? I was really dejected when I realised I wasn't just about to have him and that he was OP and I tried for 2 hours to turn him to no avail.

He did arrive 3 hours later safely in hospital (it took a bumpy ambulance ride to get him to turn the right way round) and all in all it was a really positive experience, I'm just a bit perplexed about the false start half way through! Has anyone had a similar thing happen?

IvyAndGold Tue 19-Jul-11 22:22:06

hey mama, no advice i'm afraid, but a bump for someone else to see it!

grin at 'botty', haven't heard that for years!

and congratulations on the wee man smile

wigglesrock Tue 19-Jul-11 22:49:05

This happened to me with dd1, although we were in hospital, she was spine to spine. It was a long, painful labour and very stop starty, although the next two dds seemed really easy after that grin. Congratulations, and give him an extra cuddle for me, my dd3 is 5 months old and she already seems so big!!

lia66 Tue 19-Jul-11 23:42:55

sphincter law

congratulations. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now