Talk

Advanced search

Terrified about vbac birth

(9 Posts)
Helenfellows32 Mon 18-Jul-11 10:34:52

Did anyone have a positive birth with a vbac delivery.

I'm due in two weeks and to put it mildly I'm kacking myself. I was induced last time and DS got stuck and ended up with an emergency section after attempted delivery with suction cup and forceps. I wasn't prepared for how painfull or nasty the experience could be

Really could do with some advice, hope I have made the right choice and not had a c section to be honest.

VeryHungryKatypillar Mon 18-Jul-11 14:25:49

Absolutely I did! Although previous cs was an elective for breech so not exactly same situation as you.

V positive experience, midwives kept drs away, continuous monitoring not too restrictive and was able to keep mobile enough to keep labour going (contractions would tail off if I just lay on bed so had to work at it). Gas and air, bit of pethidine early on. The scariest, most painful but also the most brilliant thing I've ever done. I am so pleased I went for it rather than c-section (although mid-way through each contraction I was thinking "why the hell didn't I go for a c-section, I'll tell them that I want one as soon as this contraction's over").

As your body has laboured before you have a good chance of progressing well which has to be a positive? Do you know why your DS got stuck and is it something that could recur? That would be the one thing I'd investigate in your situation... I completely understand the kacking it thing - I did too from about 35 weeks - and I didn't have a previous labour experience to think about.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Zimbah Mon 18-Jul-11 14:28:52

Had a vbac 8 weeks ago and am glad i did it despite bad tear. My first DD was ELCS for breech. Others will have far more knowledge than me but I think being induced often makes labour much worse. So if you're not induced this tine (very unlikely for vbac) labour is likely to be much better.

I thinl it's normal to have a 'wobble' before vbac, I know I did.

Helenfellows32 Mon 18-Jul-11 15:31:39

He was back to back and this is why he got stuck nothing to do with him being huge etc.

I'm glad I'm not the only one having a wobble. Its all I can think about at the moment.

MovingAndScared Mon 18-Jul-11 19:49:28

Had a great VBAC - also back to back/stuck before -
I also
wouldn't be keen to be induced with a VBAC through -high risk of intervention/ and slighly higher ruputure risk -
I would hang on for long as possible - why were you induced last time and at what point?

franke Mon 18-Jul-11 19:59:16

I've had 2 successful and very positive experiences with vbacs. It's completely normal to feel apprehensive, particularly with various medics (ime) waving all sorts of negative stats at you. All I would say is perhaps try and get into the mindset of "I'll give it a go" rather than "I must see this through whatever happens". You can change your mind at any time I think. Good luck smile

GreenTeapot Mon 18-Jul-11 20:00:44

I had a VBAC following ELSCS for breech. I was induced for it due to pre-eclampsia, but despite the induction, continuous monitoring and fairly medicalised situation I was as mobile as I felt I needed to be, and it is one of my happiest best experiences ever. I loved it in fact! Wasn't saying that at the time mind you, but the contrast between the aftermath of a VBAC and an CS is enormous and I couldn't believe how great I felt. Good luck smile

lollystix Mon 18-Jul-11 21:20:14

Agree with Franke- go in with open mind. Got to 4cm with ds1 as back to back and not progressing. Had 2 very positive vbacs after (one waterbirth which was fab). I too had wobbles with both right to the end. If it goes well it's amazing, if not you gave it your best. They won't let u labour on and on if you're not progressing. Positive mind- you have about 70% chance of success and you've laboured before which will make a big difference. Just get on your hands and knees to get baby on good position in preparation and stay upright, active and mobile thru the birth.

Rillyrillygoodlooking Tue 19-Jul-11 07:10:52

I had a VBAC after an EmCS. I was induced with the first one due to pre-eclampsia, and it was destined to end in CS IMO.

With the VBAC, I was determined to be in control as much as possible. I only used gas and air but I did end up tearing, which was dealt with brilliantly. I was a week late and was getting ready for a CS as they wouldn't induce but luckily went into labour before then.

I am soooooooo pleased to have had a successful VBAC, and feeling in control of the situation after having no control of the first birth went a long way towards that.

Best of luck with it all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now