Talk

Advanced search

Pls explain recovery from sec and what you can/cannot do

(16 Posts)
titferbrains Sun 17-Jul-11 21:47:45

Nothing i read is reassuring me about sec is mabking me feel any better. But still hi chance of having one so can you tell me in detail about recovery.bfing v imp to me. Am getting babynest cot side bed, will I be ok sliding baby over to me to feed or do you need help with that at night? Is cosleeping possible at start?was only way to get sleep early on.

I have back pain that makes it hard to turn over at night. Will it be worsened by limited movement at beginning of recovery?

Every time try to have calm thoughts about it I just feel really angry that a surgeon can cut me open but won't be around to hear about or support me thru recovery. I just think c sec is unnatural and wrong. Really struggling with this.

TrinaLuciusMalfoy Sun 17-Jul-11 22:20:03

Ok, firstly, why are you having a section?

Secondly, I found the ONLY way I could feed in the early days was on my side, especially while in hospital as I couldn't pull myself upright. You might need help while still in hospital getting baby to you, but don't be afraid to use your call button, it's what it and the nursing staff are there for.

Thirdly, no-one can speak for your back pain - has it only been a problem while you've been pregnant or is it of longer standing than that? Is it usually aggravated by inactivity?

Fourthly, it's natural to feel angry about a section. 3 years down the line I'm still furious about mine. But to feel angry in advance strikes me as a little odd, which is why I've asked why you're having one.

gapants Sun 17-Jul-11 22:27:11

Think you need to have a couple of apps with the consultant to talk through your fears and find out about c-section aftercare. I know it not the best way to have your baby, but I am assuming that you are having one because of risks to you or the baby.

I had an Emergency c- section. I could feed sat up through the night with my DH helping me up and handing me the baby. Do not do too much, take it easy. Batch cook and freeze food for easy dinners, get your groceries delivered.

My DS was in intensive care for 5 days and not with me, to help me feed I would look at photos of him and smell an old baby grow of his, when I was on the ward, and I was able to feed, and did so for 2 years!

fruitybread Sun 17-Jul-11 22:41:12

I found feeding lying down impossible - I had to brace myself in a way that was very uncomfortable for my back and abdomen. I never got the hang of this immediately post section or ever, so maybe that was just my problem.

My best investment was a big V shaped cushion (John Lewis do one if you are in UK), which propped me up very well. I also had bednest - during the 1st week when DS woke up, it was easiest to have DP pass him to me, after I'd got myself from lying to 'propped up' with the cushion. Then when I'd finished, I would hand DS back to DP and he would settle him in the bednest.

After week one I was much comfier sitting up/down and moving from lying down, so just slept next to the bednest and did it myself.

I didn't co-sleep with baby in bed only because I fell asleep with him in the bed the day I got back from hospital. Woke up to find he had slipped further down beside me, I don't know how, and I had pulled the covers right up over him in my sleep - he was bright red and boiling hot. I have myself a hell of a fright, and never had him in the bed again.

DS BF-ed very happily and at one year has never had formula. I got him on the breast in the recovery room with skin to skin as quick as I could, and he got the hang of it very quickly.

I hope your experience is better than you think it will be at the moment.

titferbrains Sun 17-Jul-11 22:50:03

Had 3c tear with dd and consultant says there are still defects in internal and external sphincter. So after scan in Jan 09 they recommended sec with next dc. From what I understand vb will put pressure on those defects which seems a bit dangerous. Waiting for next apptmt to learn more. Have not read anything about women going ahead with vb with defects. Frustrated as I haven't had any incontinence symptoms since birth but vb seems like it will put strainonmy body - but I still hate the thought of a sec.

titferbrains Sun 17-Jul-11 22:55:04

Back pain is mostly due to pg, but also have curve in spine and think this pg has made general back probes worse. Currently, yes it is worse with inactivity.

titferbrains Mon 18-Jul-11 09:31:44

Bump

TrinaLuciusMalfoy Mon 18-Jul-11 10:21:02

If the medical advice says have an elcs, have an elcs. Feel angry all you want - but if it's going to be the safest way to bring your baby into this world then surely that's the way to go?

As far as BF goes, you may need help early on but a section doesn't mean you can't. It can take a little while longer for the milk to come in though, but again that doesn't mean it's not possible.

With regards to your back pain, again we can't speak for that. I don't recall my wound making it difficult to turn over, it was more getting from horizontal to vertical and back again.

The bit I found most restrictive was not being able to drive. Thankfully (although it didn't feel good at the time!) DH was unemployed so I had transport in the early weeks longer than I will have this time.

gapants Mon 18-Jul-11 18:43:22

I could walk about town and hold my baby but anything that involves you using your stomach muscles is out. The reason you cannot drive as you would not be able to make an emergency stop safely, your muscle tone is not there.

A very good friend of mine said to me, and this was after my e-c-section when i was very angry and traumatised, maybe you should start thinking about how lovely and healthily and safe your baby is rather how short changed you feel about the birth. Now I am not saying that being angry about the c-section is not valid, but perhaps as it is something you have to do for you and your babies safety, maybe you need to try and get your head round it and try and see the bigger picture.

Having arnica tablets and baths with a drop of tea tree oil I think helped.

I did do too much and my wound kept partially opening on one side...gross. So please please take it easy as much as you can.

titferbrains Mon 18-Jul-11 23:09:04

I am totally ok with the fact that it's a safe way to deliver dc. It's the fact that I will be in pain/discomfort in those early days and basically incapacitated when I want my whole focus to be on my baby, not how i 'm feeling and is my wound weeping etc. It's another massive thing to worry about and I just want to focus on dd and new baby.

titferbrains Mon 18-Jul-11 23:10:05

Gap why did u feel angry / traumatized?

titferbrains Mon 18-Jul-11 23:11:19

Trina, decision is not yet confirmed.

TrinaLuciusMalfoy Tue 19-Jul-11 10:34:26

I'd love to be able to focus on DD & DC2 too - but I'm fully aware that no matter how much I WANT a VBAC I probably won't get more than a trial of labour. That infuriates me, especially when other people I know seem to be able to cough and pop out a baby.

But I'm trying to focus on what my mum (who had 4 sections, none through choice) keeps saying: better a baby after a section than no baby (and possibly dead you) after a protracted labour with complications

WiiUnfit Tue 19-Jul-11 11:20:20

Hey titfer,

I had my DS, first child, by EMCS on 8th June. I won't lie, the recovery is depressingly slow but you will get there. 6w on I'm almost healed, I only have slight pain if I've done too much.

My wound didn't weap, re-open or get infected because I was extremely strict with myself;
- I cleaned my wound very gently with cotton wool pads & savlon antiseptic spray daily; spray onto cotton wool pad, gently wipe across wound, leave to air dry or gently pat after a minute or so with another clean pad
- I stopped whatever I was doing if I started feeling pain - once you start hurting it is very difficult to come back from that IYSWIM

& Some tips I wish I'd been given;
- In the early days take paracetamol every 4hrs, even through the night, it is very effective if taken like this as it keeps pain at bay, not so much if you let yourself go past the 4hrs & feel pain
- Put a fist / towel / duvet tightly against your wound when sneezing / coughing / laughing
- Listen to your body, if something hurts, stop before it is too late

With regards to breastfeeding, DS born on the Wednesday evening, my milk came in on the Friday & no problems with feeding except a blocked duct. We have co-slept on & off since we came home from hospital after 2 days with no problem, he sometimes sleeps in his moses basket - DP got him out & passed him to me when I was sore.

I still feel angry about my EMCS but the fact of the matter is, DS would never have arrived safely otherwise. So I am very thankful.

Hope this helps & good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine! smile

jess77 Tue 19-Jul-11 16:52:18

I was fine after my EMCS(v long labour, failure to get past 6cm). I know I was probably lucky but I think people make CS out to be the worst thing in the world when really for most it's just bloody inconvenient.
No problem breastfeeding for us, in our hospital I was encouraged to bf in recovery room straight away after, even though I felt out of it from the labour etc. I just fed by propping baby up with a pillow, didn't find it uncomfortable on the scar at all.
In terms of being incapacitated, it's not much worse than when you're heavily pregnant, all being well. You can't bend, you have to get out of bed using your hands as support etc but as long as you're careful about how you move around and don't start trying to clean the house then you'll be fine. All you should be doing in the first few weeks is feeding & changing your baby and you can do that, CS or not. It really is not that bad for everyone. In fact I have signed up for another one for my next baby in 6 weeks time. I would much rather have one and need a bit of help at first than go through labour again.
Hope it's not as bad as you think, good luck x

gapants Tue 19-Jul-11 18:41:17

My emcees was through a fault of the hospital and my DS was in intensive care for 5 days. I was very angry and upset about it all, but as time wore on I got my head round it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now