Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Advice please...1week on from c sec

(22 Posts)
Icelollycraving Sun 17-Jul-11 16:18:17

I had emcs 1 week ago after being induced. I was not progressing & baby's head would not fit into my pelvis.
I started with local but ended up with a general.
I was ok in hospital,got up & about next day with help.
I came home & felt just exhausted at first,fairly natural I thought.
I now feel the worse I ever have in my life. I feel shaky,sick & can barely keep awake. My dh is here & says to just rest,are there any tablets that will help with the pain & also I have trapped wind,I have now got diarrhoea from all the peppermint tea but no release of wind. Sorry if tmi!
The actual scar is a little weepy but nothing horrific,but there is pain in my lower stomach. All drugs from hospital finished & mw recommended voltarol.
I want to enjoy these first days with my baby but feel so unwell it's interfering in the bonding process. Dh goes back to work tomorrow & no family live close by.
Any advice? Is this normal? Please be gentle!

Oh you poor thing! No it is not normal. You sound like you have an infection. You need to see a Dr, get a swap taken from your wound and get some antibiotics.

If I was you I would go to out of hours NOW, because you cannot get yourself to a GP tomorrow in that state.

fruitybread Sun 17-Jul-11 16:32:03

icelolly, that sounds grim, I'm sorry -

I know some EMCS's can leave people feeling pretty rough, but in your case, I really would go back to your doctor and get checked for infection. Point out that you feel you are getting worse, not better, and don't let them just tell you to get more rest etc (although, do get as much rest as you can, obvs).

It may be you have some systemic infection that is making you feel rough - you also need prescription painkillers if you've finished your hospital dose, but are still feeling significant pain. A weeping scar a week after the op isn't ideal - I assume you had your stitches out recently? The wound should really be closed by now.

Not that this will fix your problems, but peppermint oil capsules (can get them from Holland and Barrett or other health food shops) are better for trapped wind than peppermint tea. You just take 3 a day.

If you had a rough EMCS, then it will take time to recover, and life with a newborn is exhausting, but I don't think feeling sick and shaky is normal. I really would go to the docs asap in your circs.

SouthGoingZax Sun 17-Jul-11 16:36:06

I felt as you have described after mine (ELCS for breech twins). The trapped air (not just wind, it felt like it was all over inside me nd hurt from pelvis to neck) was horrible.

Take all the painkillers you can, get as much rest as you can, look out for a fever (I got a fever and thought I might have a CS infection but it turned out I had mastitis), get checked out by a doc if you need to but it isn't unusual to feel as you do, even a week after a CS.

Hope you feel better soon.

fruitybread Sun 17-Jul-11 16:46:18

Ps forgot to say - if you are feeling feverish and very rough, just check you don't have any other symptoms of mastitis, or ask doc to check.

I had it soon after my CS, and wasn't prepared for how bad it made me feel (sounds dramatic, but I thought I had meningitis or something - ahem).

tiggersreturn Sun 17-Jul-11 17:32:14

You can get more pain killers. I started to cut back on mine because I was running low and fainted from the pain. Spent half a day sitting in day assessment at the labour ward and then they gave me another 5 weeks worth of supply.

Also buscopan or a drop of essential oil of peppermint in hot water are much better if it is trapped wind. I second the advice to get checked out though.

ZhenXiang Sun 17-Jul-11 17:43:35

Had EMCS remember the bloating well, I found gentle walking helped it release. It will be painful down there for a while afterwards, you are still healing inside, give yourself time.

With regard to the other symptoms you will be knackered with the feeding demands of a newborn, but to feel so shaky and sick does not sound right.

You need to go to GP and get prescribed some further painkillers to help you through and possibly some antibiotics as you may have an infection.

Make sure you are eating and drinking enough, little and often is best to keep your energy levels and sleep whenever your little one does to catch up on your rest.

mumblecrumble Sun 17-Jul-11 17:54:15

Do go back to doctors/see midwife. If its an ifenction get it sorted as soon as possible. If not they can help with pinkillers etc

P.S., just in case you are worried about feeding - I had horrid infection, had shite loads of drugs... and went on to feed dd for 18months with help. DD had bit of formula while I was very poorly.

Best of luck and

CONGRATULATIONS on having your baby. In a few weeks this will be a memory and you have many many years pf love and happiness together.

Icelollycraving Sun 17-Jul-11 18:26:15

Thanks everyone. In hospital now,wound had opened & infected,yikes! Knew it was not on to feel that rough.

BagofHolly Sun 17-Jul-11 22:35:03

Two questions: why did you have EMCS as opposed to ELCS if the baby wasn't engaged? Just wondering. What dis your me say on her home visits? Hope you're on the mend.

BagofHolly Sun 17-Jul-11 22:36:18

Have they said why you were admitted? What happened to your baby?

SouthGoingZax Sun 17-Jul-11 22:45:07

I think, BagofHolly, she'll have been admitted back into the postnatal ward with her baby. They do that up to 21 days after birth around here, I think.

BagofHolly Sun 17-Jul-11 22:48:02

I do hope so. Being separated at this point would be ghastly! Bestwishes, icelolly.

Icelollycraving Mon 18-Jul-11 13:25:27

I'm on the delivery ward in a sideroom,however I think that covers all gynae.
Had emcs as I had only progressed from 4cm to 6cm in about 10 hours & the baby just wasn't really moving far enough into my pelvis. The first pessary worked on being induced but I also had high bp so was being monitored closely.
Had some huge doses of painkillers,antibiotics & anti sickness drugs over last 18 hours.
Baby stayed at home with his daddy last night,tbh I was in so much pain i wouldn't even been able to hold him. He is with me now though.
Still in a lot of pain,but my temp is ok now. I really was wondering how everyone cracks on at home when I literally felt like dying.
Got to stay in for another day or two.

Icelollycraving Wed 20-Jul-11 17:29:41

Still in. Was a nasty infection,still on lots of painkillers & antibiotics.
Feeling absolutely exhausted still,may possibly be discharged tomorrow or Friday. Not the start to mummy life I envisioned sad

Baileysismyfriend Wed 20-Jul-11 21:28:48

You poor thing. I had an infection after a section with DS, I was in hospital for six days having anti biotics via a drip. I then had district nurses come out for a few months to dress the wound until it had healed, its awful but you will get through it.

My DS stayed at home with his dad and it wasnt 'ghastly' at all, I felt that home and a normal environment was better for him than the gyae ward and I wasnt in a condition to care for him properly so please do not worry about the time you didnt have your baby with you. It didnt affect how I bonded with him at all, although obviously it wasnt easy not being with him all of the time.

Take care

Meglet Wed 20-Jul-11 21:28:57

You poor thing, you've really had a rough start haven't you. I hope they are looking after you and your wound is healing up now.

When you are home, rest, rest and rest a bit more. Sod the housework and order takeaways.

I had an EMCS with my DC1, it's not a great start to parenthood. You'll find your feet, it's very early days yet smile.

Icelollycraving Thu 21-Jul-11 19:35:47

Thanks baileys,I have the guilts as it is being away from my baby. My dh is being fantastic I have very bad d & v with it so don't want baby catching any horrid germs from me. It's very hard being away from him particularly when I can hear my dh sounding exhausted. I was due to go home but took a bit of a turn for the worse today so being kept in for longer.
Thanks for the congrats on my baby & the best wishes.

Baileysismyfriend Fri 22-Jul-11 10:32:06

The worry about germs is awful, I remember when DH visited me with DS and I spent the whole time paranoid about him catching something! Its hard knowing your DH is exhausted, I remember spending most of my time worrying about that more than myself, he will be fine though and it won't be for long.

You will be home before you know it x

Icelollycraving Tue 26-Jul-11 19:40:27

I came home on Saturday evening. The sickness is still occasional,I literally feel sick at the thought of any food or drink. I can only tolerate sips of water & rich tea biscuits. I still feel so crap,dh is going back to work tomorrow so I'll be on my own which tbh I'm a bit freaked about.
Mw came to change my dressing yesterday & is coming tomorrow. It's still open & oozing at one end. I think I'll get her to check my latest results from the labour ward as they hadn't come back when I left.
Has anyone got any idea how long it'll be before I feel better? I have a couple of days of antibiotics left. I had my baby 16 days ago. I know it's a major op but none of my friends who had cs had experiences like this. I'm lucky to have a happy contented baby but I'm really struggling with feeling so truly grotty.

vanillanice Wed 27-Jul-11 09:46:01

Oh I'm so sorry to hear you've been so ill. No words of advice to offer I'm afraid as I've never had a c-section.

I did however suffer very badly with an infection after having my first dd, I remember how awful I felt. I ended up on two different types of antibiotics, it all does depend on the infection. Definitely push for another swab of your wound if you feel current antibiotics are not working as you may need a different type.

Hope you feel better soon. Such a shame your DH has to go back to work, can he not get any emergency time off? I appreciate he's probably had loads of time off work to help look after your baby while you've been in hospital but it sounds like you really need looking after.

MayMummy11 Wed 27-Jul-11 10:29:23

I'm sorry you have been feeling so rubbish. I had the night shivers and sweats in the first week home and felt v weak. They thought I had a UTI from the catheter for which I was given antibiotics and observed in hospital for a day. It turned out I didn't have an UTI when results came back a week later, they never got to the bottom of it but I think my body had gone through quite an ordeal with my emcs so that was part of it. If the scar is weepy you may have an infection so I'd get it checked out, if you are already on antibiotics they may not be working and you may need different ones. As for the gas - I remember being VERY uncomfy but it does get better - promise! Rest up as much as you can and be kind to yourself - it does take a while to feel normal again and week on week it does get better. Drink lots of water and keep hydrated. I felt a lot of pressure from silly comments from random people to be back to normal as soon as I could. You must take things at your own pace. Ask for help from friends and family if you can whislt your DH is back at work, I wish I had! Be honest about not feeling good! Hope you feel better very soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now