Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had a spinal/epidural having had previous spinal injury/surgery?

(10 Posts)
Georgimama Sat 16-Jul-11 15:20:02

I am due to have C section on 29th July but it has just occurred to me that previous back injury (# to T5 eight years ago) may present an issue. Has anyone had an epidural or spinal having had a previous serious back injury? I didn't have surgery for my spinal fracture and am completely asymptomatic from it now.

TeriHatchetJob Sat 16-Jul-11 15:31:30

I had a major spine operation many years ago and about 10 years ago had the first of around 4 epidurals for back pain and associated problems.

A couple of the injections worked and gave much needed relief for a few months. The other two didn't seem to do much and I believe this is often the case.

Other than that there was absolutely no problem concerning previous treatments/surgery. I reckon they are definitely worth a go for pain relief.

TeriHatchetJob Sat 16-Jul-11 15:33:36

Sorry - I misread your post whilst in a hurry and i see you are concerned about the birth epidural and not one for back pain relief.... but anyway, to add to the above I did have an epidural during labour and there was absolutely no problem with previous back injury. Unfortunately the epidural just didn't work for me during labour.

Georgimama Sat 16-Jul-11 16:33:25

Didn't work! Christ, was that anything to do with your previous back injuries?

straighttalker Sat 16-Jul-11 22:45:03

Previous injury to T5 should not affect your spinal anaesthetic - this is performed at the level of either L1/2, L2/3 or L3/4 (fair bit lower). Did you require external stabilisation of your fracture/did you have to be admitted to intensive care/did you have to be kept immobile for a number of months post fracture? If the answer to these questions is no, I wouldn't worry. Mention it to the anaesthetist at your preop visit, certainly, but shouldn't cause a problem.

I think the previous poster was referring to single shot epidural steroid/local anaesthetic injections performed in chronic pain clinics for back pain. They are notoriously hit and miss as chronic back pain is exceptionally difficult to treat.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 16-Jul-11 22:58:46

I fractured my L1 right through a few years before giving birth. I had an epidural that worked no problems.

dahu Sat 16-Jul-11 23:01:04

I had back surgery on L4/5 between ds1 and ds2.
I then had a successful spinal for cs with ds2.

If you have not already spoken with your surgeon you should ask your mw to make a pre op appointment, the anaesthetist may want to see you before.

Good luck for 29th

Georgimama Sun 17-Jul-11 07:54:02

Thank you for your replies, that's really encouraging. I have a pre-op consultation with the surgeon (or at least the registrar) on 22nd, I will raise it and ask if I need to discuss with the anaesthetist as well.

TeriHatchetJob Tue 19-Jul-11 14:44:14

It was both the epidural steroid injection for back pain that worked 2 times and then seemed to have not effect but it was also the epidural given during labour that didn't work and i gave birth vaginally with no pain relief.

nunnie Tue 19-Jul-11 14:48:20

I had an EMCS and the spinal failed to work. So when I fell pregnant again this was a major worry for me so I went to visit an anaethatist and she was really helpful, she felt my lower spine to see if the fault was my back which it wasn't she confirmed, most likely the rush of the section and if I required an ELCS then there would be more time.

Might be worth asking if you can get an appointment with one to go through your history and if anything like mine she/he will have a quick feel and check all is ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now