Talk

Advanced search

Newborns, please help.

(10 Posts)
jenna13 Sat 16-Jul-11 13:55:34

hello

not sure if i'm posting in the right area but haven't worked out all the other areas and my brains still not working properly (baby born on 14 july). How can you tell if a newborn is too hot or too cold? what signs should i be looking out for? were finding this really confusing at the minute and are constantly adding an extra blanket because we think she's cold and then panciking about her being too cold and taking it off, each time were disturbing her sleep and its getting into a bit of a cycle.

thanks

fraktious Sat 16-Jul-11 14:07:44

Feel behind the back or tummy (just slip your fingers in the vest). If the skin feels slightly warm, nicely warm like when you snuggle up to someone, it's okay. If it's sweaty it's too hot, clammy probably too hot, cool to touch then too cold smile

DuelingFanjo Sat 16-Jul-11 14:11:06

I think it's much worse for a baby to overheat as they are less likely to cry to let you know they are hot but will do so if chilly. If you are in the house one blanket should be fine. When I had my baby my mum bought me a thermometer which went red when it was far to warm and I was really surprised about how hot my house was and that was in December with the radiator turned off!

DuelingFanjo Sat 16-Jul-11 14:11:44

and ... Congratulations smile

Marrow Sat 16-Jul-11 14:13:16

As Fraktious says check her tummy to guage how warm/cold she is. Don't go on the temperature of her hands. Babies generally need one layer more than us. Have you got a room thermometer? You may find this guide useful for how many layers to use. Depending on her weight you could use a Grobag which I have always found much easier than blankets/sheets.

wobblyweeble82 Sat 16-Jul-11 15:02:33

Exactly what Marrow says. Sleeping bags/Gro Bags are fab. They are usually dirt cheap in TK Maxx too if you have one near you. If my DD is asleep (she's 8wo), I slip a finger under her chin into the neck and can usually ascertain wheher or not she's warm enough etc. I found once DD hit 6 weeks, her circulation had fired up and freezing hands and feet have become a thing of the past too. It gets easier, don't worry smile

michelleseashell Mon 18-Jul-11 21:46:19

I hear the best thing to do with a newborn is cuddle them to your chest. That helps them regulate their temperature. It also keeps them quiet!

breatheslowly Mon 18-Jul-11 22:30:14

Grobags come with a little thermometer and guidance on what to dress your baby in with the grobag. There are also other brands which may have different minimum weight requirements.

MrsCornish Mon 18-Jul-11 22:32:08

yes don't worry about how cold their hands feel - it's the chest area that matters smile. better to be cooler rather than warmer.

RitaMorgan Mon 18-Jul-11 22:32:14

A baby who is too cold will cry, I baby who is too hot might not - better to be slightly too cool.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now