Talk

Advanced search

How can I encourage my perineum to heal? Am 8 weeks post partum.

(2 Posts)
Junebugjr Sat 16-Jul-11 13:15:05

I had my 6 week check yesterday at 8 wks pp.

I had a minor second degree tear that was sutured, I had a look before I had my check, and it looks like I have a small hole in the perineum past the vaginal opening. My doctor had a look and said this area was not yet healed and was sore, but only involved the top tissues. I have to go back in 3 wks to see if it has healed up, or will be referred back possibly for restitching.

What can I do to promote healing? Are salt baths and 'airing' it the way to go? Am feeling like I'll never be able to have normal relations again! sad

Cyclebump Sun 17-Jul-11 10:36:16

I had a second degree with stitches too and I took my MIL's advice with hot salt baths and airing. It was very soothing if nothing else. I also sometimes used tea tree oil in the bath as it's an antiseptic.

Airing was definitely what set me on the road to mending. It can be hard to find the time. If your DP/H is around see if you can get him to hold the baby while you have a bath and an airing.

I'm now nearly 15 weeks post partum and I forget I even had stitches sometimes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now