Talk

Advanced search

Pain after the birth

(7 Posts)
Tigerinmysoup Fri 15-Jul-11 17:12:31

I'm due to have baby number two in November and my thoughts are now going over the birth of my DS again. I had a straightforward home water birth with him, which was fairly quick - 4 hours of active labour and then he came out in three contractions. He was 9lb2oz. Had a second degree tear and some grazing.

However, I suffered for weeks after the birth with what I can only describe as an horrendous achey heavy feeling in my nether regions. (The pain was nothing to do with the tear by the way) I only remembered it recently - think I pushed it to the back of my mind - but it's only now that I wonder was that normal?

It's difficult to describe, but if I was standing up, after about 10 seconds or so I would get this awful heavy achey feeling down there which would get worse and more painful the longer I stood up - the only way to make it go would be to sit down. It lasted for weeks afterwards. I never mentioned it at the time to my midwife - I think I assumed it was normal, although now I think differently.

Thankfully my DH took about a month off work after the birth (it was over Christmas), so he was able to help out lots. I would get halfway through a nappy change and he'd have to take over so I could sit down. I remember spending Christmas Day sobbing in pain.

I am dreading having the same problem again. This time my DH can only take a fortnight off and I'll also have a 2 year old to run after as well.

Sorry for the long post but it's been plaguing me recently. Was that normal?? Can anyone shed any light on it?

prolificwillybreeder Fri 15-Jul-11 17:49:30

I had the same pains with DS.
I was cut- sorry can't remember the name of the procedure. It healed ok albeit a bit wonky.
I had those pains for weeks. I remember not being able to stand for more than 5 minutes and walking to register his birth was hideous.

I'm quite scared about after pains as well this time too.

prolificwillybreeder Fri 15-Jul-11 17:52:42

I had an episiotomy, that's what it was called. My brain occasionally gets into gear and remembers things!

Tigerinmysoup Fri 15-Jul-11 21:52:25

Oh that's interesting - maybe I was wrong and it was down to my tear then after all?
Good luck for your next one - fingers crossed we won't suffer with it again.

prolificwillybreeder Sat 16-Jul-11 07:02:16

Could well be. I just remember constant aching and not being able to sit comfortably.
Good job these newborns are adorable eh?

tiredandgrumpy Sat 16-Jul-11 07:07:28

I had this too and assumed it was bruising. Dh had described me as looking like a pair of inflated kitchen gloves when dd was squeezing out (sorry if tmi) so I wasn't surprised it took a while to recover. I took arnica which seemed to calm things down.

NeedMenInWhiteCoats Sat 16-Jul-11 19:48:10

I have this right now - an 'everything is about to fall out of there' feeling. It is a nightmare - in fact I posted about it a few days ago asking when it would calm down! I asked the midwife about it this morning and she said it was normal, caused by all the stretching required to get a baby out and would get better as time went on. Apparently some women feel it everytime they have a period after they have children.

I should really have a look down there with a mirror to see what has happened but I am too chicken!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now