2nd child. Elective C section - referral to Consultant??(14 Posts)
I had a hideous birth first time around that ended with us having to sit before a panel to be placated as I think the hospital thought I was going to sue....
Essentially everything that went wrong was human error (and a lot went wrong). It has taken me 3 years to consider having another child and this time around I am planning an elective C section to try and minimise the trainees getting their hands on me.
However so far my midwives have failed to refer me to the Consultant (words Urgent circled on maternity notes at week 10, nothing done, midwife indifferent etc etc) and I can see it all happening again.
Having made phonecalls myself I am now seeing the Consultant when I will be 32 weeks, which is far later than I would like to have done as I don't want any issues to arise this late that I then can't solve.
I am at QEH in Woolwich - can anyone advise when they saw a Consultant for C section chats, who did their electives there etc..I don't want to see a student anything anywhere near me..
I am not in your area, but I am seeing a consultant at 35 weeks to discuss C section after difficult VB birth. My MW made this appoinment around 20 weeks.
My first consultant appointment is at 16 weeks. At my booking in appointment they had to decide if the patient is consultant led care or Midwife led care. I got a letter when I was 10 weeks saying when the appointment will be. The midwife at my 12 week scan also discussed the options re VBAC or ELCS. You need to nag, this sounds shoddy!
Not in your area. I saw the Consultant at 16 weeks for initial chat (last baby was born via EMCS) I am seeing the Consultant again at 34 weeks as havign a scan to check placenta position, the appointment (final decision on VBAC or ELCS) would normally be 36 weeks, but hoping not to have t go back 2 weeks later hoping we can sort it out on the same day.
I arranged to see consultant before I got pregnant again but in meantime got pregnant so I was 10weeks. Could have seen her earlier as I was so freaked out I kept telling them I wanted a termination if they wouldn't c-section me. Was agreed straight away. Happy to share copy of my letter that got it agreed if you PM me.
Thanks all. Am having anti-d on Monday so going to see the Consultant's PA on Monday to see what can be done and maybe find the Head of Midwifery to have a moan about this not being done as don't seem to be getting anywhere by phone...
I'm under consultant care for high risk pg and birth has been discussed from the first appt but with the proviso that we won't fix anything until 34 weeks.
I've never tried them but I've had friends have good experiences with PALs. May be worth a shot?
I have had 4 sections and never saw much of consultant until 34 weeks to discuss section. My pregnancy was not high risk as such, is your pregnancy going ok
My sister works for the NHS and she said that when PALS get involved the management shit themselves and jump through hoops to sort things out. (obviously different hospital but you haven't got anything to lose).
Thandeka threatening a termination if they didn't agree to a section!!!
Being under consultant is no guarantee of you actually seeing one , probably his/her registrar.
Agree with meglet, contact PALS asap, and tell consultant's PA you've done it because you're not happy. Sounds like you've been really mucked about and it's not on.
Believe me it suprised me when those words came out of my mouth. The birth reflections mw was hinting I might not get an ELCS at which point I became hysterical and said it and at time I meant it but don't think I would ever pursue that course of action. Me saying it though did mean they took me so much more seriously though. Not suggesting you try it as a course of action unless you have genuinely similar reactions!
I just had my second hospital appt today(32 weeks) to sort this issue out. First time was with a midwife to discuss options at about 25 weeks. As I wanted a CS she then needed to refer me to Consultant, at about 34 weeks. I told her I was annoyed it couln't be sorted out there & then as I was certain about what I wanted but she said they will not make the final decision until about 34 weeks. She got me in 2 weeks earlier as I told her how stressed out I was about it all.
Anyway, my ELCS was agreed today with no questions asked, thankfully. I was dreading a big fight to get it.
Keep on at them and stress how certain you are that this is what you want. If you waver at all they will try to convince you to VBAC. Stick to your guns and you should be ok. Good luck x
Btw, I am in Brighton, I know it varies depening on the individual trust though.
We saw a consultant before ttc second time - there were some medical issudes with dd1's birth (30+stitches) but most of the reason was the care I received and my complete lack of trust in the mws. My GP got us a consultant appointment within 4 weeks of us first seeing him. The consultant wasn't sure until dh stepped in and calmly explained why we were going down this route. I really felt like adoption would be the only other option as we wanted a 2nd child.
Consultant agreed to it and 2 months later I was pg. I'm now 30w with ID twins so even easier to get cs - although some mws still try to convince me to try natural birth and I have to justify it most times I see a mw.
They're not setting my cs date until 34w but I was told it was that late as twins are so likely to be early there is no point until I reach 34w.
Good luck x
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.