Talk

Advanced search

Sudden bright red blood loss 12 days after birth

(8 Posts)
milliemuffin Thu 14-Jul-11 19:49:00

DD2 was born 12 days ago and my discharge up until late this afternoon was brown but still quite wet. I had to ring the hospital delivery suite as it felt like my waters had gone again so I rushed to the loo and lost a load of fresh red blood. MW said to just keep an eye on it but it did seem like alot to all come at once especially after 12 days.
Anyone else experienced this??

addictedtofrazzles Thu 14-Jul-11 20:25:20

I used to experience this with DC (x2) if I had been doing too much such as going up and down too many stairs, walking too much outside, carrying DC1 etc. I think you will find that if you rest, slow down and literally put your feet up, it should subside. Your uterus is trying to heal especially where the placenta used to be. Over exertion can cause that scar tissue to open up and bleed.

Congratulations and take it easy smile

milliemuffin Thu 14-Jul-11 20:30:29

Thanks frazzles, that makes sense. I've not had anymore since I've been sitting down. Thanks again xx

Just keep an eye on it, I had this about a week after delivery and then suddenly lost lots of the amniotic sac (the midwife had said my membranes were ragged) and some placenta.

Was not very nice and a little bit scary, but all was fine.

Haudyerwheesht Thu 14-Jul-11 20:35:07

I had this 9 days after having dd. It was as I got out of the car in a carpark (dignified!!) I went to the loo and I even had blood in my shoes (sorry). Anyways, it was because I was being stupid and doing way, way too much.

Aloha31 Thu 14-Jul-11 21:38:09

Same, my tip for the future will be as soon as you feel able to be more active after the birth...don't! Recovery can take a few steps back so get plenty of rest and you'll be fine. Congratulations on your new baby.

theothermrsclooney Thu 14-Jul-11 21:50:21

This happened to me twice in 2 days and I ended up in hospital having an EPRC due to retained placenta. A gp came out to me on the first day and gave me antibiotics and said I should be ok. Happened again on the second day and called my gp who advised going back to hospital. i am not sure of the volume of blood loss but for me it was like my waters breaking, blood poured out and I couldn't stop it although it stopped when I led down. I don't want to scare you but please do get it checked if it happens again.

milliemuffin Thu 14-Jul-11 22:22:10

Thanks ladies. Your replies really do mean alot. I've only lost a little bit since earlier and that was when I changed position after sitting on the sofa for an hour. If anything else appears 2mrw I'll be sure to get it checked. Thanks again xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now