Talk

Advanced search

VBAC now havign a panic.

(13 Posts)
nunnie Wed 13-Jul-11 09:05:50

Now I am getting closer to the due date I am starting to panic and doubt my choice. Is this normal.

I keep telling myself that risks attatched to VBAC are increased if never had a VB before and if labour is prolonged.

Am I being naive?

Have got a 34 week scan due to placenta being low lying on previous scan so I'm wondering if mentally I am preparing myself for the choice being taken away so I am not disappointed if that makes sense.

nunnie Wed 13-Jul-11 09:11:23

blush should say having, my fingers work quicker than my brain sorry.

MovingAndScared Wed 13-Jul-11 09:14:10

Yes I think it is normal? what was the reasons for your CS last time ?

nunnie Wed 13-Jul-11 09:16:16

Brow presentation so was an EMCS and unlikely to happen again.

larrygrylls Wed 13-Jul-11 09:22:00

Nunnie,

VBAC risks are very small. In addition, as you mentioned, a long labour will increase them so VBAC labours are expected to go at a certain pace. If they are too slow, you will be moved to a C section. As our midwife said, if the cervix does not open where it should, it will open somewhere else (the scar).

The uterine rupture stats are not separated as to those which are serious and those which are not. I believe the occurrence of uterine rupture with serious consequence is very small indeed. Hope that reassures.

MovingAndScared Wed 13-Jul-11 09:26:07

I had the same - got to 10 cm first time -then EMCS - then succseful VBAC how far did you get last time - my experience is that it should be quicker especially if not brow up to the point where you got to last time

nunnie Wed 13-Jul-11 09:30:14

My 1st was born naturally in 2 hours and 5 minutes. I arrived pushing with DS but after 3 and half hours of pushing the consultant came and this was when it was picked up that he was brow and I was whisked off.
So if it goes on history I am not in the long labour camp.

However I have stupidly fallen pregnant under the recommended guideline timescale so am a little nervous that my scar might not be impressed.

larrygrylls Wed 13-Jul-11 09:34:37

My wife fell pregnant when our first son was 8 months old. It is not stupid. Many informed people say the risk uterine rupture is not a sensible reason to plan your family structure. The risk decays exponentially so, although the risk at 6 months is more than 2 years, it is not that much more. They will expect you to report any pains at the site of the scar and have you on a constant monitor (which is a bore for a lot of women, I know my wife disliked it) but there are also risks to a C section.

Finally, you have a right on the NHS to convert a VBAC to a C section at any time you choose, either in advance or during labour.

nunnie Wed 13-Jul-11 09:40:16

Thank you larry, 8 months isn't stupid nor is 6 months, but 11 weeks isn't the most sane thing I have done blush
I do know the risks are still low and keep telling myself this, and if I labour like previous two then I do stand a good chance of a successful VBAC, but now it is so close my nerves have taken over my logical thinking process.

I think it is just normal not sure if I have made the right decision panic.

larrygrylls Wed 13-Jul-11 09:49:19

Nunnie,

I think it is the post birth consequence that is far scarier than the birth itself! Two under two is a struggle, but our two are already starting to play a bit together (youngest is nearly 8 months), so there is an upside.

How far you got in your previous labour is very much on your side. Your cervix will tend to open relatively easily to where you got before. I imagine you have taken plenty of advice already and made a good decision. On the other hand, you have every right to have an elective C if you prefer it.

MovingAndScared Wed 13-Jul-11 09:52:27

so you have had a VB before - then odds are very good

nunnie Wed 13-Jul-11 09:55:10

Thank you everyone, I am sure I have made the right choice for me and keep telling myself that a good panic isn't always a bad thing.

franke Wed 13-Jul-11 09:56:43

Nunnie I similarly doubted my choice when it was coming up to my first vbac. As was said further up the thread, you can change your mind at any point. I decided to "give it a go" and if it really wasn't working, I'd go for a cs. Changing my thought process away from "I will achieve a vbac whatever it takes", really took the pressure off. I've had 2 successful vbacs btw. Good luck and be kind to yourself smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now