Talk

Advanced search

How soon after a CS did you drive again.

(23 Posts)
MrsWembley Wed 13-Jul-11 05:18:25

Feeling really quite fit and well only three weeks after the birth of DS and wondering if I should phone the insurance company to check it's ok with them. Had a CS with my 2yo DD and the waiting around for 6 weeks was hell!

shinydiscoball Wed 13-Jul-11 06:34:39

I'm driving short distances now 2.5 weeks after my section. My midwife said as long as I feel comfortable its OK...now you've got me wondering whether I should call my own insurance company confused

sybilfaulty Wed 13-Jul-11 06:49:19

3 weeks. I rang the insurance co and they said no medical check required. They figured most new mums would have their baby with them and would not want to put them at risk. They said, provided I could do an emergency stop without flinching, I was good to go. Give them a bell smile

littlemisslozza Wed 13-Jul-11 06:53:34

10 days after! Had phoned insurance company to check and they said that it was when I felt well enough and had the go ahead from a 'health professional'. I checked with the midwife but she just said that as long as I felt comfortable to drive that it was fine and to check with the insurance company! I did have a very straightforward planned CS and a smooth recovery.

I believe that the 6 week myth remains from the days before power steering existed, as that would have been much more strenuous.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Wed 13-Jul-11 06:54:59

6 weeks with DD as at the time that was what you mostly had to do, 4 weeks with DS. Midwife said if you could stamp your foot down hard on the floor (as you would do with emergency stop ) then it was fine.

kreecherlivesupstairs Wed 13-Jul-11 06:57:44

Eight days. Automatic car with power steering. No problems.

nunnie Wed 13-Jul-11 07:30:53

My insurance company wanted GP to say I was able to drive but it could be done verbally, so I rang and was given the all clear at 4 weeks.

WhatSheSaid Wed 13-Jul-11 07:33:08

Just under 2 weeks. Driving was fine, lifting the pram out of the car was harder!

QTPie Wed 13-Jul-11 07:46:14

Check with your insurer - as they may vary...

I phoned mine at 3 weeks and they said whenever, but to get checked out by the GP and get his go ahead (although the insurer didn't need anything in writing). I got checked out at 4 weeks and the go ahead to drive (which he added to my notes). I only did short journeys for a few weeks. The CS wasn't a problem, but I was pretty tired (and although I felt fine, I am pretty sure - looking back - that I wasn't 100% alert... sad ) and lifting the infant carrier in and out of the car/house/pram was the really difficult bit sad

MrsWembley Wed 13-Jul-11 08:14:31

Thank-you all, I feel much more confident now. A quick phone call and I may be able to make the mother and baby showing of Harry Potter!!!

thursday Wed 13-Jul-11 08:23:23

my insurance company were fairly bemused as to why i was asking them hmm but felt they ought to be interested as i'd rung so said when a medical professional said i could. my MW said when i felt up to it but a good rule was if i could jump off the bottom stair i could probably emergency stop. for me it was about 5 weeks before that was possible i think. a very, very long 5 weeks.

AlpinePony Wed 13-Jul-11 09:00:44

10 days.

Chynah Wed 13-Jul-11 11:01:18

2 weeks first time, 8 days second time. Insurance company were fine with it.

Highlander Wed 13-Jul-11 12:57:07

2 weeks.

GP said the crucial thing was practising an emergency stop in a stationary car first

mittyslave Thu 14-Jul-11 21:39:30

2 weeks

Ozziegirly Fri 15-Jul-11 06:32:36

A week. Didn't check with insurance company as there is nothing in my policy about doing so.

Felt a bit nervous but DH had to go away for a couple of days so needs must.

allgoodindahood Fri 15-Jul-11 06:50:19

Cs on weds, drove kids to school on the following Mon, all fine!

nunnie Fri 15-Jul-11 08:01:58

My Auntie had a hysterectomy and was told no driving for 6 weeks and the Consultant said he would authorise after her check at 6 weeks. He explained to her that even if the insurance company are happy if you drive and cause an accident and it is realised that you have had any surgery they will speak to your surgeon and GP and if you have gone against medical advice it will not go in your favour of course, however if the GP has agreed to you driving before the recommended time, the onus is on the GP to explain this decision. I do think for the price of a phonecall it isn't such a bad idea.
Plus I was on heavy duty meds for 14 days after my section and couldn't keep my eyes open for long enough to contemplate getting behind the wheel of a car. However everyone recovers differently so it might be a week before some feel able and comfortable and it might be 6 weeks for someone else.

Meglet Fri 15-Jul-11 08:08:39

6 weeks both times. I wasn't prepared to risk anything until my 6 week check. I was bored without driving but got lifts or just walked. First drives were around the block in daytime without the dc's just in case something went wrong.

I did have the fear of God put into me after my hysterectomy, they gave me a bollocking when I asked if could pick my dc's up at 5 weeks post op and certainly no driving until the check up.

Hulababy Fri 15-Jul-11 08:10:58

6 weeks. GP wouldn't give go ahead before then which I was then told would invalidate my insurance if I drove beforehand. No idea if that is true - maybe it depends on your insurance company. It was frustrating but I saw as just one of those things. Probably easier when you just have the one baby, rather than older children to occupy as well.

Hulababy Fri 15-Jul-11 08:12:24

nunnie is right - that was pretty much what I was told:

emsies Fri 15-Jul-11 08:50:06

I'd be scared to do it before 6 weeks simply as you can feel fine but still not be healed over inside. Some friends of miine later had complications just from doing "too much" walking and normal things after their c section as they already had other kids.

If I have to have a c section this time I wouldn't drive for 6 weeks but it would be really difficult.

Sparkl1esInDisguise Sat 16-Jul-11 16:44:04

The doctors doing my surgery and the hospital midwives all said when I felt ready.. they weren't even fussed about the emergency stop thing.

My insurer said so long as your doctors are happy.

I made the mistake of asking my community midwife and my health visitor though and they were both insistent on six weeks.. hmm

So I drove anyway at 3 weeks (honestly felt fine to) and figured if anything happened I'd refer them to my hospital doctors who I feel know a lot more about it given they were the ones actually working on my insides!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now