Talk

Advanced search

Handy hints / creative tips for coping with birth and first few days after

(4 Posts)
polar515 Tue 12-Jul-11 19:19:35

My sister is due to have her DD in a months time and is very scared / daunted about the birth and coping in the first few days. I have a 9 month old DS and have been trying to think back to what I founds really helpful / what I would have advised myself if I could go back in time and wonder what others might come up with?

thursday Wed 13-Jul-11 00:02:34

spread your fingers and open your mouth/ relax your face during contractions. hard to tense up if you do that, helps you stay relaxed (ha!) and not feel out of control/overwhelmed. also counting helped me with contractions, breathing in and out, 4 in 4 out.

day 3 or 4 you feel like you've actually lost your mind. everyone does, i think (hope?) it will pass. and your milk will come in, more than likely.

take it easy. might well feel like you're fecking she-ra and have superhuman powers but then you can crash right down again.

gas n air is a thing of beauty.

best of look to her, hope it goes as well as these things go xx

gallicgirl Wed 13-Jul-11 00:14:14

Drink lots of water so your urine isn't as concentrated.

Sleep when you can. Getting out of the house might seem like a good idea but it's really not necessary.

Witchofthenorth Wed 13-Jul-11 11:19:16

As above! If I could go back I would tell myself to accept all offers of help with dishes, hoovering, holding baby for five minutes while you shower, shopping. Accept them all because although you want to be seen to be able to do EVERYTHING, including setting the world to rights, you don't bloody well have to! While labouring keep telling yourself that this is nothing you can't handle and whoever invented as and air should be knighted smile good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now