Talk

Advanced search

excess skin/stretch marks - post birth

(6 Posts)
skewiff Mon 11-Jul-11 22:56:12

I feel really vain posting about his on here - and I'm sorry because I know there are many many more important things in people's lives to be worrying about.

But ... I can't believe just how amazingly saggy and wrinkly the skin on my stomach is after having given birth to my second child.

Its been 2 months since giving birth now and I can't see this ever reducing/going away.

I love running and exercise - but I've got a feeling that its not going to help with this baggy skin situation.

After birth of DS1 my stomach skin was a bit stretched but went back to normal after a while. This though is unbelievable! Its like the skin of elephant. Or skin that I expect to have when I am 80 (if I'm lucky to live that long).

It is covered in stretch marks (which I don't really care about). And there is loads of excess skin that looks like crepe paper (which I do care about).

Has anyone else had this? Is there anything I can do? I imagine that cream will not help because I actually want to reduce the skin/shrink it, not make it more moisturised.

EasyFriedRice Tue 12-Jul-11 19:15:22

Sorry you haven't had any replies.
A friend of mine had this very badly after her first child, with the crepey skin and an apron hanging down. The GP said she would be considered for a tummy tuck on the NHS when she'd finished having her family. She said it ran in her family with her mum and sister both having the same after their babies. I might be wrong, but I think if the skin is very baggy, surgery is the only way of making a real difference.
I think it's very common though. Being in the best possible shape, fit, muscular and a healthy weight will all help your skin, of course, and will mean that if you do want to see your GP about it, he/she can't send you away telling you to lose weight (IYSWIM).
Maybe magic control pants are the way forward for exercising while you're regaining your pre-pregnancy shape?

PrincessScrumpy Tue 12-Jul-11 20:40:25

I just wanted to say 8 weeks is nothing so give yourself more time - 2nd babies tend to take longer to bounce back from - I think mine took 8 months after dd1 was born to be fully back in shape.

This time I'm having twins and dh knows I'm worried about my tummy - he's even said he'd support me having an op privately if it was needed (if I felt it was needed, he'll love me whatever - bless him)

Walking is very good for tummy muscles but visit your gp and see what they say. xx

skewiff Tue 12-Jul-11 21:36:42

OK. I don't know if I'd want a tummy tuck though. In fact I'm sure that I wouldn't want one.

DH says he thinks it looks beautiful! But I think that's just because he wants - you know what ...

I might go to the GP in about 6 months if nothing has changed.

Thank you for your replies though.

bamboobutton Tue 12-Jul-11 21:42:34

i still have very, very saggy, crepey skin and ds is 3.5yo, 1yo dd didn't do much more damage to what was already there

i have considered a tummy tuck but after hearing about the footballers wife that died after years of complications after having one i've kind of gone off the idea.

i get by with tummy control pants. spanx and trinny and susanna ones are very good.

skewiff Tue 12-Jul-11 21:57:38

Yes, I think I'll just cope the same way. Its not the end of the world is it? Much worse things could happen x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now